ePSXe Expert Insight

jimmymjb2

So I've been hackin' away at this thing (ePSXe) for a few hours now. I,ve juggled the different plugins from Pete's and elsewhere. Yet, the video is sloppy and the audio sounds like a warped n' scratched record. I,ve viseted multiple sites and searched google endlessly.Also, it seems the audio is effected by video configurations, so this complicates thing exponentially. To be honest i dont really have any desire to become an expert on Ps Emulation in order to use this thing. So, yes Im looking to mooch specific info from the more experienced on the forum.

Here is my system info:

XP Service Pack 1
Pentium 4 (2.00GHz)
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon AGP 128 MB
SoundBlaster Audigy 24Bit

Cd Rom: Memorex 52x24x52x

It would really be great if someone could link me to, or give me specific names of plugins that would work best on my system...any help would be useful im sure.

p.s. The game i'm using to test with is Resident Evil: Directors Cut. And yes I read the thread specific to this game, so I realize the game itself could be a problem. But that thread had no real answers for me, one way or the other. And its the only game i have on me right now.

J

Jet Set Willy

Find a game which is known to have perfect compatibility, and test it with that. If you can get that working nice, you can probably assume that it's just Resi that is playing up. Playstation emulation isn't perfect, and most of the time it's not even good.

jimmymjb2

I can see how that would be a wise move, but people dont tend to post topics on how perfectly a game works with any given emu. And even if I did manage to aqurire that info, i would still have to aquire the game itself. Now, I will be shooting in the dark a little later today by getting a game that hasnt been complained about.

But that still leaves the bulk of my problem unresolved:

Getting the right plugins and configuring them is like playing 'Jenga'. So I deffinitly still need specific guidence in that area.

Thanks for the reply,though. I appreciate it.

P.S. Has anyone gotten that game to run well on ePSXe?

J

Jet Set Willy

Being familiar with computer graphics and such in general is usually helpful. Often you can recognise common issues (such as blackness instead of textures) and fiddle with the appropriate settings.

Another good approach is changing a single setting, testing, changing it back... repeating the process with all settings. Elimination in other words. Tedious though, that's why it's a good idea to diagnose the general areas where the problems lay. Good luck.

jimmymjb2

Yeah, I suppose that is what its gonna come down to. I was just hoping to cut that tweakin' time in half by finding out what plugins will work the best with my system. Cuz if I start out with an inferior plugin,than all the tweaking in the world won't matter. And there are alot of plugins availabe. So my original question still stands. But after these last replies i'm also wondering if the epsxe runs well at all...i just wanna know what i can expect out of this emu for sound and video emulation. I mean, should i try harder or does the description in my original post pretty much sum up gameplay at its best?

J

Jet Set Willy

Maybe, with that particular game. Who knows until you've tried everything or found somebody who has made it work well? But some games can and will work well--I've a much slower system than you, and I've got games such as Final Fantasy 9 playing pretty much as well as the real thing.

Ive tried a number of differend PS2 and PS1 emus and all of themseem to need alot of tweaking in the end.the one I am use at the moment is the moment is PCSX2-0.5 but it still has allthe problems with video and sound ;) <_<

KidneyKai

Ps2 emulators don't work that well yet. I think its only advanced as far as the Ps2 logo screen, right? :huh:

jimmymjb2

So then it seems that ps1 emus aren't exactly the cats meow. So then i might want to just scrap it and try back later, but before i do i would like to see one work at its best, in order to scrap it confidently, or keep it, depending on the results i could get. So if there is anyone who has tried multiple emus, plugins, and configurations that happens to have a computer setup simiar to mine (described in my original post at the top of this thread), or simply knows the best specific setup that would work with my system, then please, please by all means help me out a bit.
At the risk of sounding picky, I'm pretty sure i will need a complete list of interworking plugins and what not, being that they all seem to work with each other. So the more specific info the better...thanx for tolerating my longwinded comments amd requests.

caleb

i would try running a tekken game to get good emulation, ive got number 3,works very well and so duz marvel vs capcom. just a few suggestions