Win2K and NT source code leaked onto the Internet!

J

Jet Set Willy

A couple of packages of the source code are floating around. This is pretty much breaking news--it hasn't been confirmed yet whether this is the full code, although it's pretty much confirmed that it is.

If this is true you can expect a lot of Microsoft related funnery in the near future. Some things to expect:
  • Microsoft losing customers as people learn and criticise the inner workings of their OS
  • Lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits...
  • Media sensationalism--we all know how the papers love a new scandal. This will probably end up changing a lot of I.T. related issues (think of the source code being leaked as a sort of I.T. 9/11, and expect a lot of future comfuddlery equivalent to the current terrorism craze)
  • Microsoft exposed--if they've stolen, cheated or done any sort of naughty stuff, expect exposure.
Linux Zealot P.O.V.
Microsoft Zealot P.O.V. (currently trafficked to death)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing I expect to see really soon is better viruses that take advantage of some well hidden flaws. Our only hope is for Microsoft to start making patches faster otherwise the viruses will eat us alive.

J

Jet Set Willy

Originally posted by Lefteris_D@Feb 12 2004, 10:12 PM
Our only hope is for Microsoft to start making patches faster otherwise the viruses will eat us alive.
It won't just be up to Microsoft to patch things if the source is out in the open.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
[conspiracy theory]
NT4 Workstation and 2000 Professional users should upgrade to XP Professional right now to be secure = $$$$$$$$
NT4 Setver and 2000 Server users upgrade to 2003 Server right now for more security = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
[/conspiracy theory]

J

Jet Set Willy

Yeah, Microsoft will probably play the upgrade card, and naturally people will be investigating the possibility of this being done on purpose by Microsoft to help phase out software which is no longer making them any money.

Chances are that this is a leak from one of the hardware manufacturers Microsoft provided their source code to.

J

Jet Set Willy

I doubt that Microsoft did release this code theirselves. I expect that both NT and 2000 have a lot of code in common with XP, and they don't want to be exposing that.

Patches aren't going to save us all now. The shit really could be hitting the fan on this one. It's going to be a lot of fun :-D

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Its the e-anthrax of windows... DO NOT OPEN YOUR EMAILS IF YOU SEE WHITE DUST IN THEM!!!

Nick

This is interesting. However, I feel it's going to be somewhat of a let down when if this is proved false. I have no data or experience to back that assumption, but this feels a little too unreal, Windows source code?

If real, this might just be an OS revolution of some sort; who knows. Exciting. =) Patches aren't going to save any of us if the whole code, or large parts of it are floating around for others to see and tinker with. Aside from probable and likely exploits, which could possibly be on a tremendous scale, what else may come of this, aside from the things that Waz mentioned?

El Fugitivo

Well, in addition to the obvious flaw-exploitation problems that will arise, I'd be surprised if we didn't see at least a small community of programmers latch onto the code a la Linux and other open source OSes.

It seems kind of odd to me that the two operating systems in question are 2000 and NT. Well, I guess NT is probably widely used by businesses (which would, I'd think, be much more enticing to hackers), but I know hardly anyone who has 2000. Except for ME, I'd guess it's probably the least popular (currently) of the Windows family of operating systems. I know plenty of people who still use 98 (this computer has it) or 98SE, and even a handful who have 95.

Heh, I just thought of something. 2000 was primarily intended for home users, while NT was intended for businesses, schools, etc. If it was indeed Microsoft who did this, they were wise to force all of their customers onto XP (Home and Professional).

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Nick@Feb 13 2004, 03:15 AM
However, I feel it's going to be somewhat of a let down when if this is proved false.
Microsoft's Tom Pilla has confirmed the leak stating: "Today we became aware that incomplete portions of Windows 2000 and NT 4.0 source code was illegally made available on the Internet"

Edit
This may not be emulation news but its already on the main page now that it has been confirmed.

J

Jet Set Willy

Originally posted by Nick@Feb 13 2004, 01:15 AM
what else may come of this, aside from the things that Waz mentioned?
  • Illegal forks
  • Lawsuits when people start using Windows code in the WINE 'emulator'
  • Porting Windows to other platforms
  • Stuff

Mourgos

If this is true ,we're all in deep shit.We will have tons of new deadly viruses every day and no patch can solve a situation like that .I don't think microsoft was the one that leaked the code firstly because it has already lost many points from the windows users that can predict the security problems that will arise,and mainly because WinXP are very similar to NT and 2000.

Well, I guess NT is probably widely used by businesses (which would, I'd think, be much more enticing to hackers), but I know hardly anyone who has 2000. Except for ME, I'd guess it's probably the least popular (currently) of the Windows family of operating systems

You know me!And most people I know use it as well.Thank god Ialso have XP and Linux installed as well.

Well at least its good news for some.Norton and Linux users for sure.But we can always hope that Microsoft did an excellent job and their code is flawless.Please God show mercy....

J

Jet Set Willy

It is real. Microsoft are playing this down and saying that it's only a small portion of the source tree, but it's hard to say. It definitely is a considerably and dangerous amount of code.