How do you open a BIN file

Jale

It depends. It may be a CDROM image (bin, cue), a Sega Genesis ROM, or some other data. Specify us the name of the file.

hagbard

Mount it with Daemon Tools, then post a screen capture of the CD contents, if it's actually a CD image. If it isn't DT should refuse to mount it.

Last edited:

Kite

If it has something to do outside of an emulator (like in a game file) then you need to know what it does (say, character stats) and then in what order the program puts data in the file and then what that data means. You can just open it in Notepad, but you wont understand it. BIN styands for binary (i think?) and therefore could be used by any program and hold any sequence of data in any order. That is why it's so popular in games and other programs with data they don't want you getting at.

Unless you know what the file does, and you write/download a de-crypter for that specified file you can't do anything with it (unless it has something to do with an emulator, where i know nothing about it)

hagbard

Kite said:
If it has something to do outside of an emulator (like in a game file) then you need to know what it does (say, character stats) and then in what order the program puts data in the file and then what that data means. You can just open it in Notepad, but you wont understand it. BIN styands for binary (i think?) and therefore could be used by any program and hold any sequence of data in any order. That is why it's so popular in games and other programs with data they don't want you getting at.

Unless you know what the file does, and you write/download a de-crypter for that specified file you can't do anything with it (unless it has something to do with an emulator, where i know nothing about it)
money2 is talking about .BIN format CD images. I think you should take a look at this thread, and this links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_image
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7976

Kite

I only decided to elaborate on the .bin thing because money2 didn't post back saying whether or not his problem was solved, so i thought that he might have been talking about just general .bin files. I could be wrong though.

hagbard

Neco said:
And you came to this conclusion, how ?

The poster has not said what the file he was trying to open actually is
Just a conclusion :D Actually I was browsing the PSX forum, switched to this thread and forgot that this is not the same forum. You can kill me now

Last edited:

hagbard

I didn't know you were an english teacher, sorry for the inconvenience j/k (?)

Last edited:

Zach

Don't try to guilt trip me because you didn't make sense and you went and edited something :glare: