Kazaa Wins!

Mourgos

I just read that Kazaa won the trial over the Buma/Stemra record company.
The supreme european court decided that the distribute and use of Kazaa is completely legal.

That sure is important for the future of p2p networks ,at least in Europe since the american courts seem to be always in favour of the record companies . <_<

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Er... sorry, but is this news?

And count me in the club of people not using it, although
that is mostly because what I want to download isn't really available
through it. That a the shit amount of adware it comes with of course.

(this post is not intended to be hostile to YOU [Mourqos] in anyway, just towards Kazaa)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Adware is no issue because nowdays people still use the "lite" edition or third part clients to tap to their network. I believe that everyone remembers Morpheus. As the official site says "Connect to millions of Kazaa, iMesh, eDonkey, Overnet, Grokster, Gnutella, Limewire, and G2 users".

I got Systemworks 2004, Acrobat 6 and plenty of anime from kazaa so I would not call it a bad p2p system.

Codeine

SoulSeek is the only p2p system worth owning. Kazaa Lite isn't bad, but, if you like more obscure stuff, than SoulSeek is definitely better.

If the people at SoulSeek fix all the bugs, it would be undefeatable.

What say you?

Mourgos

Whether Kazaa is good or not is not my point.

The fact I was trying to explain is that p2p programs like Kazaa cannot be harmed by legal issues and close like Napster.At least in Europe.

That day was a great day for the web.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
In other words our master's p2p supporting site(BT to be exact) is safer than before :)

El Fugitivo

Not necessarily. This court decision means that the program can't be closed down as a result of the possibly illegal acts that it's users might take part in. Animesuki advertises links to specific copyrighted works (even if that copyright is only for Japan). Bittorrent is really nothing like other p2p programs.

SoulSeek is my favorite for music, but I still think Overnet is better for larger files (movies, games, etc).

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
And with BT it is deadly easy to get the IP of other people downloading a certain file.
For the RIAA and MPAA this would make it a piece of cake to obtain IP addresses for
people downloading things like "Spiderman-DVDRip.torrent" for example.

And that is no impossible scenary -- companies employed to research this kind of copyright
infringement have been looking into BT already (at least I got an email from a guy who
was running an advanced BT client that blocked one "peer" because it was from an IP block
owned by such a "copyright infringement research" company).

But still IMHO AnimeSuki will be pretty safe as the copyright holders are in Japan, and they're
more likely to just ask us to stop rather than force us using a C&D letter.

BT is only useful for stuff when it's popular -- very few torrents are alive for more than a few
days, weeks or months. For the rest (more rare stuff) I use eMule. It's damn slow, but it does work.

<><>

overnet

as for the court ruling, it is a good indication on the inclination of european courts. I never thought the ridiculous incidents in the US would make its way over to europe where record companies could hope to sue individuals over file sharing. This kind of puts the nail in the coffin.

M.H.A.Q.S.

I love eDonkey now, before that I loved Kazaa.

Spekkio

Banned
Moo, I say.

Those Buma/Stemra idiots are probably sulking in their office building 20 minutes from my house discussing how to manipulate new statistics in order to make them show everyone is losing money from piracy.

I think it's pretty cute the MPAA, RIAA, and other groups still think they can even touch piracy.
I estimate a daily increase of about 100 hacked FTP's, and a daily de-crease of about 75/80, if not more.

Howmany of the pubstro hackers have actually been caught and brought to court?
Bizarrely little.
They really need to start realising that this whole piracy hype is the same as the war on drugs.
Trying to mop your floor with the Niagara Falls raining down on your head.

Adjust the price, or accept that people will just give you the finger.

Mourgos

True.Furthermore it's a matter of principles as well.Just because not every human is born by a rich daddy,doesn't mean he shouldn't have the same things everyone else can enjoy.As long as they keep trying to make more money without caring even a little bit about everyone else ,all they're gonna accomplish is smack their faces on a wall.

Spekkio

Banned
Originally posted by Mourgos@Mar 7 2004, 10:20 PM
True.Furthermore it's a matter of principles as well.Just because not every human is born by a rich daddy,doesn't mean he shouldn't have the same things everyone else can enjoy.As long as they keep trying to make more money without caring even a little bit about everyone else ,all they're gonna accomplish is smack their faces on a wall.
Flawed reasoning.
Not everyone can afford a car, does that mean they should be stolen?
That's not right.
It's just wrong for the recording companies to get such a large percentage of the profit, and the artist so little, not to mentioning overpricing their products.

It has nothing to do with everyone should be able to enjoy game X or Y.

Mourgos

Not everyone can afford a game that is sold 45euros when it could be sold just for 2euros with an amazing percentage of profit.Does this seem fair to you?It surely doesn't seem fair to me.And it has to do with everyone should be able to enjoy a game ,when its construction cost is affordable to all.

Spekkio

Banned
Originally posted by Mourgos@Mar 7 2004, 10:55 PM
Not everyone can afford a game that is sold 45euros when it could be sold just for 2euros with an amazing percentage of profit.Does this seem fair to you?It surely doesn't seem fair to me.And it has to do with everyone should be able to enjoy a game ,when its construction cost is affordable to all.
Paying the development team and keeping the company alive with sufficient turnover.
Packaging
Costs of empty media.
Writing the media.
Shipping and handling
Marketing.

Those things cost a lot of money.
Don't blame the developers, they work hard for the meager pay they get as opposed to the corporate top.
Blame the CEO's exhorbitant salary for the high prices of the games.

I bet the prices could go down at least 10-20€, depending on if they had to rebuild the engine and all that jive.

A game such as Doom III will probably be worth its every penny because of the lengthy development period.