Anyone know about a Video Card emu.?

Hello

Hi, i've been looking around, and im hacking my PS1 to turn it into a mini computer so if any of you know or can come up with a good Video Card Emulator, direct me to one plz [or E-Mail me at alfa4445@yahoo.com].

Last edited:

montpics

Video Card emulator? Never heard of it in my life. :cool:

hagbard

The only similar thing I can figure out it's a Glide Wrapper, PC only and pretty useless now imho

Spartan-048

-

Hey, look its me. Well, this was me about a year ago, i never could figure out my Screen name when i came back here for some help, never mind password, so i made a new account about 2 weeks ago. Yeah... dont worry about what I was talking about, my stupid friend gave me false technical specifications for the PS1:
  • 1 GHz
  • 256 RAM
  • 4 propreitary USB ports.

its actually closer to this:

• 34.007... Mhz
  • 4 MB RAM
  • 4 ports operating at an agonazingly slow 1/2 a MiB

He also boldly stated that it utilzed an video card emulator which used a shared memory architecture to function.

Heres a post on Xbox Scene highlighting my adventure:

Hello, I'm new here to the Xbox-scene forums, but i've been around my fair share of places, so I know how to talk on the forums without pissing people off. Being that this layout is vastly different from ModDB's forums, excuse me if I mess up anywhere. Anyway, back to the topic. My friend and I (well, its just me now, my friend abandoned me on this project ) were contemplating about getting a PC, but we had no money (we were also looking for a cheap alternative to dedicated servers for a modification we were thinking about). So one day, I looked toward video game systems. After stripping apart my Playstation, and looking at how big it was, I thought of turning it into a small laptop (You know, soldering in USB ports and the like, I was ignorant back then).

My friend gave me false specifications (He said it was 1 GHz. Divide it by ten, and thats how powerful a Playstation REALLY is), and not knowing this is looked it up in the wikipedia. After that (and lots of frustration at my friend's constant false info) I turned toward an old Dreamcast (I wanted to open my Xbox, but I'm 13 and my parents wont allow it. But I'll get to that in a minute.). My friend gave me False specs again. This time he claimed it was 1.2 GHz with a theoretical yield of 2.4 GHz (never listened to my friend again after that.). I was disappointed to find that it was a measly 206 MHz and that the controller ports had a transfer rate of 2 MBits (NOT Megabytes, Megabits. Theres a difference. 1 MB= 1024 KB. 1 MBit= 128 KB) which was 1/6 the transfer rate needed for USB componnents, so memory expansion and USB keyboards were impossible.

So, obviously, the Xbox was my only alternative. With some hefty specs (733 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 233 MHz GPU, etc.) that would serve as an average PC, with 4 propreitary USB ports. Now, what I want to accomplish is turning this into a functional PC that I can [hopefully] use the program Gmax (a modelling program) surf the internet, and play Counter-Strike or Warcraft 3. Nothing fancy, I dont even need a bigger HDD (I can partition a part of the HDD to use as a slow form of RAM, couldnt I?). Although a 60mm fan in the top to help cooling is a good idea.

Anyway, does anyone have advice, or can refer me to any tutorials? Also, what would be a safe distance to overclock the CPU to? 733 MHz is ok, but I'm sure I can get a little more out of it. To accomplish what I want, I'd need to run at least Windows 98, and I couldnt find any tutorials on the subject. So, is it possible? (keep in mind that I'm 13 years old, i dont have a budget) Well, besides that, I hope my stay here will be a long one.

w00t long post, im goin' to bed. But yeah, ive been around on the forums, I know a lot and hope to hang around for a while. :)

TheCreator

You must be talking about a driver for ur XBox for the video card, and its prob impossible to obtain such a driver. Try Windows 98 (preferably SE), do a look up on Google how to do that. Don't try XP, it'd be slower than sin. Don'rt expect to be able to play games on an XBox with 98, u wudnt be able to get a driver let alone 3D accelration. Unless you are a guru, you should just try and skank a computer from someone who'd be willing to let you have it.

How did you beleive a PS1 had 1ghz, 256mb ram, seeing as it was released in 95, when PC's didnt have more than 16MB RAM back then? or something

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
How did you beleive a PS1 had 1ghz, 256mb ram, seeing as it was released in 95, when PC's didnt have more than 16MB RAM back then? or something

PS2 has 300Mhz,32 RD-Ram,so PSOne at 1Ghz is like :confused:.

Spartan-048...cloning accounts equals ban,I think.

montpics

-=VampyR=- said:
Spartan-048...cloning accounts equals ban,I think.
Not necessary, rarely depends on a situations. :cool:

Spartan, you should ask Admin if you want your old account back. ;)

Kromsligo

Hello said:
Hi, i've been looking around, and im hacking my PS1 to turn it into a mini computer so if any of you know or can come up with a good Video Card Emulator, direct me to one plz [or E-Mail me at alfa4445@yahoo.com].

well most loads of reverse engineering work needed to be done to get ps1 emulators working so im sure any group working on a current emulator will have loads of info on the inner workings of a ps1

kallion

Simple Man
montpics said:
Video Card emulator? Never heard of it in my life. :cool:

I'm going to have to agree here and second this...

That would be amazing... a Video card emulator O_O

Zach

Don't make useless posts, you should only be posting to add input to a discussion. "I agree" posts are in poor taste and waste peoples time.

Thank you.