Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 Released

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Copyed from the firefox website-

What's New in Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 (Deer Park)

Firefox 1.5 beta 1 is a preview of our award-winning Web browser. Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 is available for our early adopter community, Web site and Web application developers, and our Extension developers.

Here's what's new in Firefox 1.5 Beta 1:

* Automated update to streamline product upgrades. Notification of an update is more prominent, and updates to Firefox may now be half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved.
* Faster browser navigation with improvements to back and forward button performance.
* Drag and drop reordering for browser tabs.
* Improvements to popup blocking.
* Clear Private Data feature provides an easy way to quickly remove personal data through a menu item or keyboard shortcut.
* Answers.com is added to the search engine list.
* Improvements to product usability including descriptive error pages, redesigned options menu, RSS discovery, and "Safe Mode" experience.
* Better accessibility support including DHTML accessibility.
* Report a broken Web site wizard to report Web sites that are not working in Firefox.
* Better support for Mac OS X (10.2 and greater) including profile migration from Safari and Mac Internet Explorer.
* New support for Web Standards including SVG, CSS 2 and CSS 3, and JavaScript 1.6.
* Many security enhancements.
* List of notable bug fixes since Deer Park Alpha 2

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I've been waiting for the new update system for ages but I won't download it until the final is out.

Jale

I'm testing it, but I don't see any major changes besides the well arranged options and stuff.

mhl12

Butters said:
I'm testing it, but I don't see any major changes besides the well arranged options and stuff.

I have never seen any major change in any of the updates.

hagbard

I guess they're mostly focused on bug fixing and it's OK for me :p

mhl12

ok I downloaded the beta. I have half a mind to go back to the regular version because skins and extensions do not work. ArghhH!!!!

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Serious bug in all versions of Firefox (Including 1.5 beta 1)

A serious bug has been found in all versions of firefox including the new beta release firefox 1.5 beta 1.

Copyed from the firefox website-
The vulnerability is caused due to an error in the handling of an URL that contains the 0xAD character in its domain name. This can be exploited to cause a heap-based buffer overflow.

Heres a link to more information about it.

At present i cant find a patch on the firefox website but there is a way to disable IDN which will protect you until a patch is released.

1. In the address bar type about:config and press enter.
2. In the filter bar type network.enableIDN and press enter.
3. Right-click on network.enableIDN and click toggle so that the word underneath value changes to false. This has disabled IDN and you should be safe until a patch is released.

Last edited:
You don't really need a patch. Just be careful about the URLs you click. A quick test is to check that they're not overly long and don't have 0xAD in them. Anything with a lot of nonsense characters is worth treating with caution - it might be the exploit code.

I don't think this is particularly worth worrying about. It's just am embarrassing bug.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
I dont see the point of starting a new thread for this so i'll post it here.

Firefox has a new release. 1.5RC1 (Release candidate) what every that means is available.

You can get it here

(Dont worry montpics ive checked that its the correct link)