My Web page building question

Mourgos

My question is like this :

I want to make my page collect some data from input boxes and then send them to an asp file that will put them in a database and confirm its action to the user with a message.
Also I want my page to be able to retrieve the data from the database.
In simple words I want to do something similar to the registring and signing in of this forum .

What I have in mind for the registring is sth like this:
<html><body><form action="response.asp"><input type="text" name="user">
<input type="submit" value="submit></form></body></html>
Then in response.asp I will assign the user name in a variable like this:
<%
dim a
username=request.querystring{"user") %>
and now I want to put the variable's value in a database but I don't know how.Also I don't know how to retrieve the data from the page.

I've heard that it's possible to do it in php but I only know asp,vbscript and Javascript scripting.

So to conclude ,do you know how to do this ?(Without using php scripting which I don't know ,as I have already stated) :(

Edit:Forgive me if my english are bad

J

Jet Set Willy

The language will probably have some sort of extension for using databases such as mySQL, or you can put it in a flat file custom database if you're so inclined.

It's just something you'll have to look up, nobody can list the appropriate functions for you to use as well as the documentation itself.

Mourgos

I just opened this www.w3schools.com page that a friend had told me about.It looks good and I may find sth relevant there but nevertheless if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, what kind of database are you going to use? ASP needs to have a ADO connection string just like Visual Basic. As for manipulating data try to remember the "recordset" commands. I cant help more as my ASP is a bit rusted.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Lefteris_D already mentioned the most important stuff. Look for
help on "ADO" and "recordset". Ah the memories. My current
database library in PHP still is based on that principle (which really
isn't that bad).

Be aware though that your host does need to have given you access
to either a MS SQL server database or Access database (or possibly
other ODBC solution).

Also, my advice above may not be entirely accurate... it's been a WHILE
since I did anything in ASP...

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
ODBC is needed on SQL Server either he likes it or not, there is no other way to perform the connection. As for Access databases, he can make a direct connection to an Access database as long as he has the absolute path to that file. For example, Snitz forums operate by absolute path or ODBC connection to Access databases.

Direct connections and ODBC connections to Access are the same in Visual Basic as well. Try finding how to create the ADO connection string in visual basic without using visual components and you will have almost the exact the code you need.

J

Jet Set Willy

No, ODBC is a Microsoft API for standardising SQL databases across platforms. As usual you don't know what you're saying.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Mourgos wants to manage a database using ASP(insert data). The easiest solution is to use an ADO connection string to an access database after finding out the direct path(example c:\databases\mydb.mdb).

The alternative is for that database to be linked using ADBC. For that the server admin needs to create the connection so applications & scripts can use it.

Last time I checked the native platform for ASP(the language Mourgos wants to use) was made by Microsoft so giving him ODBC tips is not wrong.

J

Jet Set Willy

"ODBC is needed on SQL Server either he likes it or not, there is no other way to perform the connection."

I think you need to state that you mean only for ASP, then. Even then, I think it's still inaccurate.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, ODBC is needed ONLY in ASP to perform a connection to Microsoft SQL Server.

When it comes to ASP.NET I dont know if there are other ways to perform the connection as I have yet to study the language so anything I say concerns the previous version.

In PHP there are already libraries that can perform connection to SQL Server without ODBC.

M.H.A.Q.S.

When it comes to ASP.NET I dont know if there are other ways to perform the connection as I have yet to study the language so anything I say concerns the previous version.

ASP.NET is great at it. You can use ODBC to connect to any server or database connection.

I worked in the .NET environment for a long time and it makes your life alot easier than previous languages.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, I've only worked in the previous enviroment and also made some DLL to execute simple tasks. There is no doubt that .NET is awesome but I have not used it yet.