• Welcome to the Submitted Content Forum. You may use this part of the message board to submit content for reviewing before it is posted at the main site.
    • Acceptable Material
      If it is a review it has to be one of a game or emulator.
      If it is a guide/manual it has to do with emulation(how to use an emulator etc), not a game.
      New releases - Keep in mind that we check other sites regularly for those ourselves.
    • Necessary Requirements
      You may not copy content written by another person and claim it as your own. Any material found to be breaking that requirement will be removed.
    • Images
      You may use as may images as you like. At first you will have to host them to one of the many free image hosting services available. Once your material is officially posted we will copy them on the server.

Zork Trilogy freeware movement

DOSGuy

This is somewhat emulation related because it involves a classic series of games that was ported to a great many platforms. I'd really appreciate it if you could draw your visitors attention to the movement by posting a news item.

The classic Zork Trilogy was recently listed on CNET as being in the top 10 freeware games available today. Unfortunately, the Zork Trilogy is not freeware and they had to remove the link. Classicdosgames.com has started a petition to ask Activision to revive or release the games as freeware at http://www.petitiononline.com/Zork/.

If you'd like to sign the petition, please add weight to your signature by using your real name. I encourage you to truthfully disclose your country or location in order to highlight international appeal for the Zork series and demonstrate the potential for a positive public relations move by Activision. If leaving comments, only leave positive comments and goodwill towards the recipients of the petition.

onewecallgod

not to be an asshole or anything, but show me a time when this online petition crap has actually changed anything. in theory its a great idea, but companies dont give a shit about the handful of people who sign these petitions; its just too small of a percentage for them to even consider seriously.

DOSGuy

The Zork Trilogy, like many works of interactive fiction, use an interpreter to run the games. This allowed the games to be sold for a large number of platforms, and they continue to be ported to new operating systems to this day. Writing a program to make the games play on a modern operating system is kind of like an emulator. That's the best excuse I can come up with.

As far as the failure of online petitions, I totally agree with you. Almost all petitions fail, though it never hurts to try. Since the petition now has well over 100 signatures, I have presented it to my contact in Activision's Legal Department and asked her to pass it along to Marketing. It's a longshot, but it cost me nothing to try. I want to thank everyone who signed, not that it's too late to add your name to add weight to the petition.