Newbie questions

mace

I have played around with emulators in the past, but it has been years since I have done it last. I have an old 600 MHz PC collecting dust in my closet. I was thinking about turning it into an old emulator box to play all my old Atari, NES, SMS, Genesis, and SNES games. I was just wondering in anybody had some good links or info on what software is the best to use now days. My ultimate goal is to find software that will start up when the PC starts and to be totally controlled by a controller so there will be no need for a keyboard or mouse.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Welcom to EZ forums. You cant ask for links to roms, iso's, mp3's or other illegal material on here. If you after emulators then look on the homwpage. For a genesis emulator i recommened Gens as it can play nearly all genesis, X32 and sega CD games without trouble. And for snes i would say Snes9x or ZSNES are the best. These are the emulators that ive been using, im not sure if they'll work with your pc.

mace

No, I am not looking for ROM links. I can find ROMs on my own ;). Those emulators are the ones I have been using too.

I guess what I am looking for might not even exist. I am looking for software that runs at boot and allows you to choose emulators and games from just using a controller. I am also looking at possible converting my old controllers to USB to work with my computer and emulators.

My ultimate goal is to have this box sit out in the living room and be able to have anybody pick up a controller and use it. Maybe my goal is too high and the software isn't available yet, but I think a lot of people would like to build a system like this.

hagbard

You're thinking in make a PC arcade cabinet. There're lot of sites with info about it, I can tell you some later, but a google search (arcade cabinet, mame arcade cabinet) would be more usefull imho :p

The software you're talking about it's called a frontend

mace

Not planning on putting it in a cabinet, but what I am planning it about the same thing. Maybe cabinet is the google search word I am missing.

mace

I found a program called "game Launcher". Does anybody know anything about this program? I am having a hell of a time configuring. Maybe it is time to try some different software.

hagbard

There so many frontends, anyfrontend will do.

Chinese_Fighter said:
don't fall for it, everyone knows its not a real program
Two times the same response it's a bit boring :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mace

So their is a frontend called frontend? If so I can't find it. There are a tons of them. Any suggestions on one that supports mame and console emulators.

hagbard

I mean any frontend, but I somthing was missing :p

GameEX, for example