Can you run (Selfboot) CDI games on DC emulators?

Aynatix

Can you run (Selfboot) CDI games on DC emulators?
Do I "have to" burn anything to a cd? Because I just want to play on my computer with the emulator? No cd burning bs. What is a (Selfboot) CDI?
Im new at all this.. Help me?

jv9

Yes you can run Selfbootable CDI games on DC emulator (Chankast).
CDI is a discjuggler file and the (Selfboot) means that it boots by itself.
It dosen't need a program to make it selfbootable.

Aynatix

jv9 said:
Yes you can run Selfbootable CDI games on DC emulator (Chankast).
CDI is a discjuggler file and the (Selfboot) means that it boots by itself.
It dosen't need a program to make it selfbootable.
Do I have to burn anything? or Is it just like arcade roms where you just launch the emu and load the game and play?

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
just use daemon tools to make a virtual drive(fake drive) then mount the image on DT and choose the DT drive letter in chanka and start it up. then it should work.

DethGate

Ok, I just DL'ed a Dead or Alive 2 CDI and I mounted it on Daemon tools. It lock up every time I try to load it in Chankast.

hagbard

Perphaps it's not selfboot, not every CDI file is: CDI only means it's a DiscJuggler format. Also the game might not be correctly emulated or it has a Echelon intro.

To run non selfboot games, you need the Dreamcast BootCD aka Utopia Boot Disc: Run it first on Chankast with the Daemon Tools virtual drive, when it loads change the emulated image for your game. Make a google or forum search to find it, and use the 1.1 version if possible

About the Echelon intro, check this thread

Makinit

hi, i'm new here. here is my problems: after the xxx.cdi is charged, i open the chankast, and i push on start. then it asks me to set date (twice). so it opens the main menu. i click on play game and all this restart from the biginning. what is the problem? what should i do???

hagbard

1) Get the Utopia Boot Disc 1.1 and DC bios files (dc_bios.bin & dc_flash,bin), unzip both on the Chankast folder

2) Load the Utopia Boot Disc first on Daemon Tools, start Chankast and emulation, then wait until this screen appears
Spoiler »
utopiaonchankast.jpg

3) Swap the UBD with your CDI iso file, and wait some seconds. Hopefully it will work.

Last edited:

Makinit

uhm, sorry, but it still doesn't work :( . i got the utopia v1.2 (CDI), and those ones

chank3kh.jpg

then, i start daemon tools with utopia, then i start the emulation but it still asks me to set the clock :(!!! what is the problem!! i just want to play :confused:

Please help me, even this time!!!!!! :)

hagbard

I said before Utopia Boot Disc 1.2 would hardly work, use 1.1

Psykid

yo ppl. when i try to run chankast it says cant read TOC from h:drive y is this so?..

iv mounted the proper boot cd - utopia 1.1

suggestions pls

hagbard

Use another "dc_flash.bin" , sometimes helps (looks it's region dependent)

Also make sure you've ASPI installed ( get ForceASPI ), and change to "CD-ROM Interface XXX" from "CD-ROM interface ASPI" on "Plugins" -> "Configure"

Otherwise, you might fix it by disabling "Devices - restrict CD-ROM acces to current user" on Control Panel -> Administration Tools -> Local security policies -> Local policies.

hagbard

Utopia Boot Disc

dxtah

greetings

after loading UBD v1.1, the screen goes to the "reindeer" screen

then i mount the street fighter 3 image and nothing happens..

help pls.

ive installed aspi 4.71.2
cd rom interface is aspi
drive is set to d-tool drive
using d-tool 3.47

ive just testing using cdrom interface is XXX
no reaction whatsoever, still stuck on the reindeer graphic

looking forward to any help

thanks