an app to assist in 'narrowing' games down for cabinet?

Midnight Tboy

heya,

I have my shell of the arcade cabinet ready, and a 25" tv ready to go into it etc...

the next main step is preparing the HD's ready to go into the cabinet....of which I'm using old bits basically, HD1 being a 10gb HD I pulled out of an xbox (sticking a nice 250gb in the xbox ;))...to use purely for boot up and emulators, and HD2 a 180gb which is to house all the main roms.

now, I have pretty much all the Goodtools verified and CLRMame verified etc collections backed up of pretty much all the major consoles etc, (Snes, megadrive, mame, Kawaks/nebula, gameboy varients, atari varients, Daphne, Pinmame, Fruit Machine, MegaCD, etc etc etc....that I would ideally like to go on the machine.

Now obviously the Mame 0.99 and all the other emulator roms are running huge amounts of space, more than I can squeeze on the 180gb HD by far, however I want to try to narrow selectively some of the games down on it, maybe leave room on for some pc based games etc.

What I'm after basically....is there any app or tool or anything that can be used to reduce some of the junk in each of the collections......such as in the Megadrive collection to get rid of all the game varients (sonic (jap), sonic (jap hack 1 with extra snot dribbling from nose) etc, and some of the mame roms that are definately unplayable, or in the case of the new supported games are impossibly too slow...in order to leave me with a more compact version with the main varient of each game.

that way I could just introduce the other chd games etc in the future as and when the support for them improves...aswell as it will unclutter the cabinets menus instead of having to scroll through 20versions of Sonic etc.

hope you guys have any ideas,

cheers,
Tuck

hagbard

You can use any of the GoodTools to place the same kind of Roms per folder using the "goodinfo.cfg" data. The appropiate command is "dir", and you can also modify the "goodinfo.cfg" file (it's text only) to only move the hacks, etc.

About the arcade Roms, I think it would be so fast to do, I can only suggest to use the Mame32 to know which roms are unplayable, too new,etc with folder data like Cat32.