Nyc Underground

Nick

Can't say exactly where, legal reasons. New York City.

Found an entrance to this place, accidentally, while roaming around a mostly neglected basement, looking for antique mechnical odds and ends.

Took a little while to get down there, two locked doors in the way , one padlocked; other mostly boarded up. It goes a few levels underground ( much like a 2nd basement, only there's a 3rd and 4th as well ) and I'm not sure of it's original purpose. Many corridors lead to nowhere ( bricked up ) as well as a few cavernous, empty halls.

Remained there for as much as I could; in other words, untill my intrepidity ( film, in other words ) ran out.

FYI, shots vary from level to level, and a few are in near complete darkness...while some places have electrial light. Two 9 volt torches used with a plastic filter/colour paper on it, that serves as a light diffuser for the camera.

Ok; onto the photographs.

Nick

1_things_breathe_here.jpg

2_light%20some%20places.jpg

4_dead_end.jpg

Some of the walls that are located further underground have strange textures/openings. This one was more like half cement/soil mixture; wet.

5_walled_up_door.jpg

6_slightly_ajar.jpg

Doesn't it look like there is something inside? :)

7_spiderwebs.jpg

8_pipeslining.jpg

9_bathroom.jpg

Door to a rest room. Full of rats, with black muck on the floor. Closed it much faster then I opened it.

3_can't_see_far.jpg

Nick

In the two last coming shots; taken with night vision feature on camera. I have the extra add on IR illuminator for it, which doubles the range to about 50 feet. You put it to your eye and use it like a monocular to navigate.

13_pipe2.jpg

12_bathroom_tunnel.jpg

Full of water, and dead rats. Must have walked for about 2 minutes inside of it before I reached a set of maint stairs that lead up to what looked like subway tracks/tunnel. No photos of that though, hard to put all of my stuff down, and no more space left for that either way, wanted to save a shot.

On the way out :

lastone.jpg

Hope they are OK, please don't rip me apart for the shots if you dislike them :)

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
Nick, those are great photographs. Especially the one with the nuclear symbol and the one which looks like a spider web of sorts.

El Fugitivo

Did you put someone in the incinerator? I swear there's a face in there.

My favorite is the tunnel with the floating rats. Did you wade through that?

J

Jet Set Willy

They are some really wonderful pictures. I love that sort of industrial dereliction. It's enchanting. Any more, Nickster?

El Fugitivo

You should get yourself a motor drive and just hold down the trigger as you walk and look around. It'd be expensive, but you could put it all together as a slideshow and then speed up the playback so that it looks like a herky-jerky film running double fast. Careening through underground tunnels. I wish I had the drive to do stuff like you do, Nick, instead of just blab about it.

J

Jet Set Willy

Yeah, me too. I often feel that Nick is living the life I'm longing for but too unmotivated/depressed/stuck-in-rut to even attempt. Bastard.

Codeine

That's really fucking neat. Excellent pics, the tunnel with the rats is my favourite. Kind of reminds me of when me and a friend where in a Laundry mat, and there was this opening in the floor, and there was a huge basement underneath; we think it may go through all of Madoc (the small town our High school is located in), we went down there and the floor was dirt, toilets everywhere...but we left really quickly, didnt want to get caught as the laundry mat was still occupied.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
Those are some great pictures. I sat here and loaded them all on a 56k connection so they must have caught my interest. I like the dead rat tunnel and the two Waz mentioned too. The rest room door looks cool too.

J

Jet Set Willy

There's a disused nuclear bunker close to where I was born which you can visit. It's incredible.

El Fugitivo

I bet there is a ton of shit around here. I live in a "nuclear" city, basically this city was born to house the government and army personnel working at Hanford to develop either the Uranium or Plutonium used in Fat Man or Little Boy (the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki). There are rumors of a bomb shelter/catacombs underneath one of the high schools here, though I've never seen it myself, nor do I know of anyone who has. Probably underground stuff like that everywhere around here.

hitmonlee

the thought of tunnels and old basements and stuff under a city really excites me
my city is very new - but we still have a lot of old tunnels i would love to explore - some of them even go under the old fremantle prison - prisoners escaped using those tunnels, and one tunnel even goes from the mainland over to garden island (a small island just of the coast - its a military base).

i like this photo
12_bathroom_tunnel.jpg

reminds me of a lot of the photos from a website full of photos from old asylums, boarding houses, schools, orphanages and prisons.

fascinating.