Need Help Finding A Ps2 Emulator

mikachan

So I got a PS2 game for christmas but I do't have a PS2. I need an emulator that will play legit games from my CD-ROM drive. I do have a DVD in this computer too if that helps. I'm a little down on the cash or I would buy a used machine. I can get games super cheap, but the machine is a different story. If anyone knows of such a program, I would be elated. Thankyou for any help:

Mika

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
The is one small problem. Have you seen screenshots from emulated PS2 games? If you have then please understand that emulated games are not good enough yet. You will have to wait.

mikachan

I have the games, I just need an emulator that will play them. I have the actual bought and paid for game disks. I just want to be able to run them on my computer.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
You dont seem to get it, do you? You can't play games yet. The quality is bad and you will end up asking how you can make games work better. The games cannot be compared to emulated Playstation 1 games. You will have to wait.

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
It's going to be a few more years before gameplay with a PS2 emulator is considered playable, perhaps you should have looked into this a bit more before you bought PS2 games for a nonexistent PS2 console.

mikachan

I didn't buy them, a confused friend got them for me for christmas. I just wanted to know if it was possible... the rudeness here is what really shocked me.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
I'm sure that Lefteris or Scotchguy didn't mean to be rude with you. It's just that if you use the "Search" feature on this board you'd find that this question has been answered MANY times over. It's also answered on the main site where there are PS2 emulators available for download.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I never tried to be rude to you. I said that you can't play PS2 games at a good level yet and you did not understand that at first.

Anyway, you will have to wait for some time before you can do that really well.

M.H.A.Q.S.

I didn't buy them, a confused friend got them for me for christmas. I just wanted to know if it was possible... the rudeness here is what really shocked me.

Why is that people here, complain about rudeness. Even if they are confused.

suckthismeat

I just cant believe that in - what 3, mabey 4 years now we still don't have a good emulator for ps/2..... I think its about time we got ONE that worked.....too bad I suck at programming

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
The lastest screenshots have shown great improvement. We might be lucky enough to have an emu by mid 2005.

suckthismeat

To be honest I am suprised that sony doesnt make one themselves, A GOOD emulator would sell good, and I would be more than willing to pay $60 for a Good emulator for my pc......

suckthismeat

but I bet they would get more money [from] the emulator than they would the actual unit. I won't buy a ps/2 because the platform sucks, its too slow, and not worth $200 to me, now ~$60 to play their games on a real system... thats worth the money.

--edit--
Plus they would probably get a much nicer profit margin from selling a cd than from the entire hardware kits that they keep having to fix.... we are at what generation now dealing with dvd player failures? 7 finaly fixed it right?

El Fugitivo

Actually, Lefteris_D, most game console companies make hardly any money on the hardware. They often even lose money on them (Microsoft loses money on each X-Box they sell).

But there's no point in them making an emulator for the consoles because it would make the console obsolete, which would in turn make the need for a console obsolete, which would in turn cause the entire console game industry turn to solely making PC games. The reason they make their own proprietary hardware systems is that, if they are able to become the dominant company in the industry, as Nintendo is with handhelds, they can make more and more money on their games. The amount it costs them to manufacture the hardware and develop the software decreases over time, and so their marginal profits can be turned into huge ones three years later. Look at the GameBoy product line and the original PlayStation. By the time the GBA came out, Nintendo had literally thousands of titles available for it which now cost them a tiny tiny fraction of the original manufacturing costs. They were able to churn tons of games based on what they knew from ten years of market experience to be successful formats (in other words, the continuation of the Mario franchise with games that are original enough to not just be rip-offs, while still sticking to the basic run-and-jump formula that made the first few such big hits), as well as ports of games for other consoles. When you really look at it, Nintendo has hardly made any forward progress in the field of handheld gaming technology; it took them 10 years to go from a black & white 8-bit system to a full color 16(or is it 32?)-bit variation. That's really quite ridiculous when you consider that Sega had their Game Gear -- a virtually flawless handheld console -- out only what, a few years after their comparable home console system. It's because they had a monopoly on the market, and so they were able to make a considerable profit on technology that was basic enough to cost them hardly anything. Sony did the exact same thing with the PlayStation: they were churning out games for it long after it had been "replaced" by the PlayStation 2, and while the latter console was very popular when it launched, I'd be willing to bet that Sony was making more actual profit on the sale of PlayStation 1 games than PS2 hardware or software for at least a year after the PS2's launch.

Anyway, if they made emulators, it would be alot easier for other companies to reverse-engineer their systems and cut in on their markets. As long as the game companies make consoles, the only factor that matters is how much money they're willing to throw at it to "win" the console wars. When the X-Box came out, it nearly flopped. The only reason it didn't was that Bill Gates was so intent on overtaking the video game market. This is the exact same reason Nintendo is selling their GameCubes for $99 now.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Making a console has one purpose, to have a platform that is easy to use for everyone. If that was not true everyone would develop PC games instead.

suckthismeat

to be honest I don't see a point in them, you buy a console when it hits the market (sony PS/2) and a year later find out that the DVD player was shitty and takes 6 generations to fix.

or better yet, buy the xbox which was supposed to be state-of-tha-art, and had frame rate issuses with their primary game (which just happened to be bought up by MS before it hit the market, and ported from PC to XBOX) - yes I mean HALO - and right now, 3 years later, they seem to be cutting back on the hardware to make the box cheaper to manufacture (the celeron chip instead of the real pentium) whats the point? If I burn music, I can't play it in the xbox as most of them wont read cdr's..... its not worth it.

El Fugitivo

Originally posted by Lefteris_D@Jan 4 2004, 12:04 AM
Making a console has one purpose, to have a platform that is easy to use for everyone. If that was not true everyone would develop PC games instead.

Wrong. Did you not read what I said at all? Sure, some of it is opinion, but most of it is essentially factual (like my description of the Game Gear as virtually flawless; the only problem with it was the battery life).

The problem with PC gaming (and the reason that it is dominated by only a few game genres and crowds) is that the market there is much more volatile. The hardware is always changing, and the gamers demand so much more from their games. If a company has one or two failures, they're basically done for (see whats-his-name with Daikatana). The console market, on the other hand, is much more forgiving. Once customers have purchased a console, they've made an investment. They're not going to be as quick to change allegiances if that particular console has a bad quarter or two (just look at the huge Dreamcast following, years after it was taken off of the market; Sega's not really making money off of it anymore, but if they continued to manufacture games for it, they would still be making a slight profit). With the PC, the consumer isn't making an investment in a particular company's games (with the exception of the "never-ending-expansion-pack-series" like The Sims and many RPGs).

Edited to include a quote of the post i was replying to.

suckthismeat

There are companies that have - and will continue to support pc's .... hell silicone knights was one of them, I dont know if you remember Cyber Empires from the 386 days, but that was the shit then, and I still love it for that matter, but the point is they are back (suprisingly enough) and the most violent game on GC was made by them - granted it was for GC but nevertheless, they didn't die.... Blizzard is another example of a company that just won't die... although after starcraft I don't know why it didn't

but I guess I like the Idea that I can go out pay $80 for a Gefore FX 5200 and suddenly I can play a whole new string of games, Tron 2.0, UT2k3/ut2k4, rise of nations etc.

I dont feel limited by the pc market, and I will admit that sony did a good thing by producing the first console that allowed you to upgrade and STILL use the old games on it.... but that is a rare thing.... nintendo for example, snes, n64, gc all different media.... I just can't stand it, I can still play Privateer from my 386 box on my new xp box at 1600+ w/o any problems at all.........

--quick note--

the sega nomad was a hell of a lot cooler, allowing you play console games in a handheld unit was a great idea.