What Is Checksum?

Gosia

ITS A VIRUS.. DELETE WHATEVER YOU HAVE NOW!! DEL C:\*.*
jk.. actually a checksum is something that checks the file (i assume the file you have is a rom) to make sure its 100% the way it was when it was first obtained... its kinda like scratching a cd.. you may be able to get data off of it, but alot of it will be corrupt. The checksum makes sure the file (rom) is not corrupt.

This dosnt always mean that it wont be playable but some of the time it does. if i were you i would try to find another of the same file (rom) with a good checksum.

SO SAYS THE HORNY NINJA :ph34r:

apocalypse835

Damn. My Golden Sun 2 rom has about a million of them.

J

Jet Set Willy

What a stupid description.

A checksum means adding each byte in a file and checking it against a verified value, as a simple test for corruption. It's not a very good test, as two or more errors can cancel each other out and the checksum may still pass despite the file being erroneous. An MD5SUM is a better test.

Usually you don't need to worry if a ROM has a bad checksum. It probably just means that something in the ROM was edited for whatever reason, or the manufacturer never gave the game a valid checksum in the game header in the first place.