Winamp5

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
Um, no.

Winamp 5 is a hybrid of 2 and 3.

Winamp 3 sucked horribly, I didn't think anyone would defend that trash, it was a memory hog.

El Fugitivo

I liked the video support in Winamp3. Alot better, in my opinion, than WMP or Winamp 2.9 (an inexplicable step backward).

M.H.A.Q.S.

Winamp3 was a trash. I loved winamp2.

Winamp5 is great, but as my PC is slow for its appearance appeal, I can't use it.

suckthismeat

and isn't it amazing, like MusicMatch they want money to burn CD's--but why to rip MP3's........ not that it matters, Cdparanoia, oggenc, and k3b are all I need.......

So why pay $15 to burn a cd? Cant nero do that... and isn't nero generally free with cdburners......

They have gone hell, Ill stick with my old winamp2

J

Jet Set Willy

Is it your job to troll around the forums name-dropping open source programs you've probably never used? You use oggenc to encode MP3s eh? Nice.

J

Jet Set Willy

Perfectly constructive criticism. I have a problem with this person and I voiced it. That's what happens here. As I've said before, you don't seem to belong. Do yourself a favour and find a friendlier forum. I'm afraid that if you carry on tainting my idea of utopia as many others do, I'm going to have to try and make you repent.

suckthismeat

well WazWaz let me ask a simple question

Did I say I was going to make an MP3 with oggenc.... NO
what I was getting at is I DONT use MP3's

Mp3's and most of thier players (winamp3, Musicmatch, and Media Player) take LOTS of valuable resources... ogg - has so far been a lot less resource intesive, and has better quality sound

OH and seeing as how I generally use linux for all Sound/Video needs, LAME or sometimes Blade are the 2 packages of choice for MP3's

But just so you know, Winamp DOES come with the decoder to use Ogg-vorbis soundformats, and its just too damned bad It cant use FLAC

oh yea go ahead and try and make me repent

J

Jet Set Willy

If you had a basic grasp of English it would be clear what you mean.

suckthismeat

2 things, 1- the point was WHY PAY THEM FOR A GENRALLY FREE SERVICE... (ex. even MUSICMATCH and Media Player can RIP music for FREE) - and NERO isnt open source buddy, go check into it, it just happens to be free with LOTS of burners - except of course those few who still use Easy Cd Creator

and 2- I think my last post was very clear in meaning - if you have a problem with it, Oh well

--edited for spelling--

J

Jet Set Willy

No, try following the conversation.

I'm not complaining about OGG, many people will vouch that I have advocated it in the past.
What the fuck are you talking about Nero for, and where exactly did I even mention it, let alone whether it's open source or not? You are sadly obsessed with proving yourself at every opportunity, trying to look like some sort of alternative OS mastermind. It's sad.

Secondly, the comment about your writing not being clear is refering to the post where you practically claimed to use OGGenc for MP3s.

"but why to rip MP3's........ not that it matters, Cdparanoia, oggenc, and k3b are all I need......."

suckthismeat

the point was simple, Why pay for MP3's , I mentioned those as that is what I use, unless I want what even ogg cant give me, then I use Flac

as to the point about nero, here let me help you
" Is it your job to troll around the forums name-dropping open source programs you've probably never used"

well nero is FAR from Open Source, and for that matter Neither is MusicMatch or MediaPlayer - both of which were mentioned for the same reason.... FREE RIPPING, I could care less about the format at the moment, the fact is WINAMP wants MONEY to RIP a cd a free service offered by others

J

Jet Set Willy

Originally posted by suckthismeat@Jan 2 2004, 07:06 AM
the point was simple, Why pay for MP3's , I mentioned those as that is what I use, unless I want what even ogg cant give me, then I use Flac

as to the point about nero, here let me help you
" Is it your job to troll around the forums name-dropping open source programs you've probably never used"

well nero is FAR from Open Source, and for that matter Neither is MusicMatch or MediaPlayer - both of which were mentioned for the same reason.... FREE RIPPING, I could care less about the format at the moment, the fact is WINAMP wants MONEY to RIP a cd a free service offered by others
I wasn't refering to Nero when I complained about your name-dropping. That's obvious enough, isn't it? You don't take criticism and then try to apply it to every entity in a sentence.

You seem to have one thought going around and around in your head.

-Somebody complains about your zealous listing: You start rambling about open source.

-Somebody accuses you of talking nonsense: You start rambling about open source.

-Somebody tells you to stop imposing standards on people for which desktop enviroment they use, when you haven't even tried the 'alternatives' yourself: You start rambling about open source.

OKAY. WE GET IT. OPEN SOURCE. THANKS. Believe it or not, other people dual boot too. I had Linux as my sole OS for over a year. I DIDN'T FEEL THE NEED TO POINT IT OUT AT EVERY POSSIBLE OPPORTUNITY. If you would be a little less zealous and a bit more legible, I might have more patience with you.

Screw this, I'm tired, I can't even type a straight sentence. Say what the fuck you like.

suckthismeat

yes I did say I use Oggenc, because I do, it is a fair alternative to MP3, and I appologize for people who took that as meaning an mp3 encoder.

as to wazwaz, let me see here, you stated that I was hear dropping open source, well I do WHEN it provides a better alternative - paying $15 dollars for a free product/service is NOT a better alternative. ALSO if you will note in EVERY instance where I have mentioned an Open Source Alternative, I have ALSO listed a Closed Source - ex. Nero, MusicMatch, and WMP. so dumb fuck. when you accused me of merely dropping opensource names YOU WERE WRONG.

and it seems to me that your ONLY bitch is that you don't think I use any of those myself, well as the co-founder of soon to be linuxusersonline.com (host and Admin of all downloads, and admin on the forums) I can assure you I have used, and will continue to use OpenSource when it works better than the closed source alternative. When Closed source has something I want I use it, ex. I still play games, UT2k3 Tron2.0 etc. I won't be playing those under winex for sometime (please note WINEX is NOT open source, it is covered by the Aladin GPL license which basically calls it Trial unless you pay - which also allows for better compatability, but that is for a different forum) - As I mentioned in the other thread, I will get you screen shots and prove to you that your only bitch has holes, lots of them.....(the only reason I wont right now is that I am in WInXP right now)

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
Originally posted by suckthismeat@Jan 1 2004, 11:32 PM
so dumb fuck. when you accused me of merely dropping opensource names YOU WERE WRONG.

and it seems to me that your ONLY bitch is that you don't think I use any of those myself, well as the co-founder of soon to be linuxusersonline.com (host and Admin of all downloads, and admin on the forums)

As I mentioned in the other thread, I will get you screen shots and prove to you that your only bitch has holes, lots of them.....(the only reason I wont right now is that I am in WInXP right now)
No, you were name dropping, don't you remember your original post? It's not an opinion this is a fact, you can't argue about it.

Oooooh, we're all real impressed. So you not only name drop open source programs but now you're trying to brag about your powers at shitty websites? Good for you. Wow, that's quite a site you got there. I should buy the domain "reallyrichandgoodlookingpeople.com" then I suppose that would mean I represent the name, right? Just because you bought a domain name involving Linux doesn't mean you know what you're talking about or you even use Linux.

No need to supply screen shots, no one cares, at all.

suckthismeat

look, the original post was not here to tell people "use this its better" it was there to point out something noone else mentioned - THEY want us to PAY to RIP music. and for that matter to burn them... and Like I said then and will now, the whole point was why pay when even windows has free alternatives, or alternatives that you may have already - ex, WMP and NERO - nero comes with most cd/dvd burneres now and WMP comes with windows - why pay nullsoft to do the same thing you have been doing w/o winamp5?

the point was never - heres linux let me shove it down your throat.

you ppl are focusing on the wrong aspect of the post.