Help(website tips)!

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Some people might accuse me of showing off but this is not the case. I only need some feedback.

This is what the site looked like at it's early versions, it can clearly remind you of something and this is a screenshot I took from a live beta a few hours ago.

I already got some hints from a few people and GHDpro's comments helped alot so any more ideas?

TGS

make the site in english

Mourgos

But he's making it for greek users to have an emulation site they can all understand.
Anyway there are many emulation sites in english out there,there's no need for another one.
Opinion:I don't like the colors.Maybe sth in red (like RGB-210 15 15) or a metal font would be better.
Anyway whatever you choose to do,the colors must match each other .The colors you've chosen don't look very good when combined.
And I don't think you're gonna leave the background white,are you?

Besides that the page layout looks fine. ;)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
TGS: No, there is no point and besides that I can't handle the competition. Besides that, as Mourgos said, there are too many English sites so I'll be the first to have an exclusive site. Why would I bother getting the domain anyway? :)

Mourgos: The background was meant to be white. As for the color combo, I've already tried alternatives and this one was perfect. The logo gave me a hard time though. Right now my only problem is the money and the fact that I don't have a stable job.

M.H.A.Q.S.

Anyway there are many emulation sites in english out there,there's no need for another one.

I don't believe that. Let people do what they want. I like it here, even if there is no real need for downloading something. At least a community.

I've seen many sites, but they don't match EZ that much. Although EZ is not good enough, but it is quite better than others.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Trust me, there are more than enough English speaking sites out there. Though none of them are perfect they are really good(no, I never claimed that my site will be perfect).

I'm targeting the local internet mostly and the competition is not that big. Most sites that deal with emulation here are mostly technology sites that have a tiny part about emulation in their forums. That's all! My only real rival is one site but trust me, compared to the design of my site it looks as if it was made by an amateur.

Anyway, the pictures I posted there are quite old and I evolved the scripts alot since then.
The only good news so far is that I have been Googled!

belmont

Most sites that deal with emulation here are mostly technology sites that have a tiny part about emulation in their forums
Just like my section in DB.GR!!
The only good news so far is that I have been Googled!
Thats good,the site is the first one!!
Keep up the good work!

Jay

Sly Little Devil
DO use informative subjects
Please use informative subjects when posting new threads. Posting threads with subjects such as "help me" is not recommended.

I had to say something. Couldn't help it.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by belmont@Dec 30 2003, 01:31 AM
Most sites that deal with emulation here are mostly technology sites that have a tiny part about emulation in their forums
Just like my section in DB.GR!!
Yes, your case is a prime example.

You know you are at the top of my list when it comes for the staff I'm going be "hiring".

M.H.A.Q.S.

Let me give you a good tip Lefteris. Hold some kind of competitions around here. Let people enjoy this site as much as they can.

I've seen threads like:

- News Poster of the year
- Admin of the year
and etc etc.

Let people post too, but not spammers. You'll have a lively community in no time.

A friendly and live environment is all this site needs, believe me.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
This is not the place to talk about EZ but I will reply.

>>News Poster of the year:
Me, Rocky, ScotchGuy, NightWhish & GHD(the people able to post news & do updates)...
>>Admin of the year:
Rocky does not count as he has been one for a couple of weeks so there are two more candidates.

>>Let people post too, but not spammers
Everyone is free to post

>>A friendly and live environment is all this site needs, believe me
The "friendly" depends on the attitude of the members towards others and that will result to "live" eventually.

For a comparison take a look here. Spammers and people that cause trouble are kicked out. Stupid threads are closed or deleted. That is the situation. That is exactly what EZ used to be and THAT is what I continue doing as moderator there.
Trust me, Xris is a far more strict than me when it comes to admin duties and yet the only people that might complain are just newbies that have not read the rules or dont know the way things run there. The situation here is simply that some people just think the site will go down(again though it was not our intention or fault) and that we get no visitors. We get plenty of traffic.

M.H.A.Q.S.

Then I really don't understand why people keep on blaming you for something like:

- The site is not good and stuff.
- Your english and attitude.
- The staff and sites team etc etc.

and one more thing Left, I saw that site, you gave me a reference of. It is not that good, just that it is vibrant in stuff.

Why not look for themes and better setup for the site. Flash tags, banners etc. Use a little photoshop work.

Are you the only one doing all the work. I know some that help you out.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
What are we talking about? My site or EZ?
If it's my site I know that it needs improvements.

When it comes to EZ I'm going to say this:
Everyone makes typos. I just dont pay much attention so they kind of stay unlike getting fixed. Attitude, everyone(some people to be exact) here is rude and I try to make them not to be.
Staff & site team: When it comes to moderation I don't think there is a problem, we have plenty of people to handle things. As for site team not everyone is allowed to update things. Only Me, Rocky, ScotchGuy, NightWhish & GHDpro can perform site updates so far. Out of all these people only me and GHD have unlimited access to the site(including FTP, SSH and SQL) and GHD also has a server password... he is God after all :rolleyes:

"Why not look for themes and better setup for the site. Flash tags, banners etc. Use a little photoshop work." - Right now the forum has three skins. The more skins it has the harder it is to maintain and three skins is more than enough. As for the site to my regret it's not skin compatible. You see it has no static files. Everything you see at the site is a combination of dynamic templates and when I change one file every page changes. Besides that I am not completely aware of the way the files are connected because I did not make them. I know what to change in order to alter something but that's all. I have to use the templates & codes I was given.

Do you know what pages really look like? This page is actually:
Code:
[include=gallerypopup]510,200,200,150[/include]

[h]Visual Boy Advance[/h][p]

[text]
Since the first version of Visual Boy Advance which lacked some major features (such as an interface), this Gameboy Advance
emulator has progressed greatly. I found compatibility to be quite good and many games were playable. Actually I didn't have any
problems with every game I tried, though I must admit I didn't test a whole lot of games.
[p]
The games ran at full speed (with sound) on my Celeron 900 Mhz., so if you have a similar or faster PC you
shouldn't have any problem either. A Pentium III 500 Mhz. is the absolute minimum requirement to play games.
The Gameboy Advance is a 32-bit machine so emulating it requires more CPU power.
[p]

[hs]ZIP Support[/hs]
Visual Boy Advance has ZIP support. This means you don't need to unzip your ROMs before playing. Just select the ZIP file and Visual Boy Advance
will automatically load the ROM from it.
[p]

[hs]Gameboy Emulation[/hs]
Visual Boy Advance can just like a real Gameboy Advance also play original Gameboy (Color) games.
So there is no need to get a seperate emulator. Because of this the author has stopped development
of his "normal" Gameboy emulator Visual Boy.
[p]

[hs]Default Keys[/hs]
[text]
[list]
[*] Button A - [b]Z[/b]
[*] Button B - [b]X[/b]
[*] Button L - [b]A[/b]
[*] Button R - [b]S[/b]
[/list]
[text_split]
[list]
[*] Movement - [b]Cursor keys[/b]
[*] Start - [b]Enter[/b] (Return)
[*] Select - [b]Backspace[/b]
[*] Toggle menu - [b]ESC[/b]
[/list]
[/text]
[p]

[hs]System Requirements[/hs]
As with most emulators for Windows you may need to install the latest version of <a target="_blank" href="http://www.microsoft.com/directx/homeuser/downloads/default.asp">Microsoft DirectX</a>.

[text_split]

[screenshot_block=260]

[screenshot_item]
[include=gallery]Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2,/emulators/gba/vboyadvance/tonyhawk2/,2,1,01.jpg,absmiddle,2[/include]
[br]
[include=gallery]Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2,/emulators/gba/vboyadvance/tonyhawk2/,2,1,Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2[/include]
[/screenshot_item]

[screenshot_item]
[include=gallery]Silent Hill,/emulators/gba/vboyadvance/silenthill/,2,1,01.jpg,absmiddle,2[/include]
[br]
[include=gallery]Silent Hill,/emulators/gba/vboyadvance/silenthill/,2,1,Silent Hill Play Novel[/include]
[/screenshot_item]

[screenshot_item]
[include=gallery]F-Zero,/emulators/gba/vboyadvance/fzero/,2,1,01.gif,absmiddle,2[/include]
[br]
[include=gallery]F-Zero,/emulators/gba/vboyadvance/fzero/,2,1,F-Zero[/include]
[/screenshot_item]

[/screenshot_block]

[/text]
[p]

[include=votebox]vboyadvance[/include]

[hs]Download[/hs]
[halfbr]
[files_block]
[include=file]vboyadvance[/include]
[/files_block]

As you can see it's all BBcode, no html...

M.H.A.Q.S.

I can see that and i am talking about EZ here.

I think i have an idea for a color change, if people like. I feel like making a thread. OK.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
As you already made the thread and I will send it to GHD.

I also deleted some trash that were here.

M.H.A.Q.S.

What about the trash that keeps lurking around here. Although the Trash Waz gone, but still:

The winds of HEAVEN keep drifting it towards EZ.