Newbie needs help mapping controller

Jester89

I am new to MAME and while I have got MAME32 0.96 working there are some questions I have concerning set-up.

First, if I have MAME32 and command line MAME installed in the same folder will they conflict with each other?

Second, I have a "PS2 like" USB controller. How do I map out the buttons so that I can do all selections via the controller? (i.e. credits and game selection)

Thank you.

hagbard

1) Not should be a problem, but it's really needed ;)

2) I suppose you have a Playstation pad port to USB PC adaptor. That shouldn't be a problem. Go to menu "Options" -> "Interface Options" ->Check "Enable game selection by a joystick", then restart MAME32.

To config in game keys (coin, etc): On MAME32 got to menu "Options" -> "Default Game Options" -> "Controllers" tab: Check the "Enable Joystick Input". Once done, run any game, hit <TAB> key, then go to "Input (General)" -> "User Inteface" , hit <Enter> on the function you want to rempa, and hit the key on keyboard , pad, anything you want to remap. ;)

Jester89

hagbard, thanks for the info. I will try it out when I get home tonight.

BTW - I may not have explained my controller. It is not a PS2 pad port with an adaptor. It was made with a USB connection for PC games. Not sure if this has any bearing on your explaination but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again.

hagbard

Yup, I see now, I was wrong about the pad

Jester89

Got it working and had a great time playing all weekend.

Thanks again for the help.

BTW - How does one set-up a cabinet so that you can select the games with the use of the mouse or keyboard?

:D

hagbard

I'm not sure if remap the in game keys might do the job, as I don't understand the question very well (sorry for that :p), otherwise a front end it's recommended for cabinets