Your Desktop

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
I also cannot view it.

Okay, here's mine, it's in link form because I don't want to fill up the entire page.

My Desktop

DanielW

i would give it 8/10. graphics are good. gameplay is very fun, since you have sqad memebers with you and later you have like 8 of them which makes the game kind of too easy. the locations are great too, very good level design. but after you're done, there's really nothing that you can do with it anymore. still a fun experience.

suckthismeat

hasn't anyone here replaced the desktop with something like litestep or KDE, Gnome, icEWM, SOMEthing other than the WindowsXP Explorer.... cmon, wheres the mods thats worth a shit!

J

Jet Set Willy

YEH KDE AND GNOME AND ICEQWMWMWMWMWMWMWMW WORK WELL ON WINDOWZAZ!!!!

q
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

You stupid twat. You've clearly never used these desktops, because you think that they run on Windows. You are also trying to look clever by claiming that anybody who doesn't use them is worthless. Fuck off.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Waz, dont call him stupid. If he says that we should replace windows explorer with KDE or Gnome he should tell us how to do it after he gives us the site where he got the windows build of it... You do know what a "build" is, right suckthismeat?

As for Litestep the last time I used it is when I was still using Windows 98(year = 1999) and francly I discovered that it was quite unstable when installed to non English versions of that operating system.

Waz: We may be both wrong about this and he could have meant using linux instead of windows but there is little chance of that.

J

Jet Set Willy

Originally posted by Lefteris_D@Jan 1 2004, 06:23 PM
Waz: We may be both wrong about this and he could have meant using linux instead of windows but there is little chance of that.
I'm positive that neither Gnome or KDE have been ported to Windows. You might be able to run them with Cygwin, but it's a really rubbish thing to do.

"hasn't anyone here replaced the desktop with something like litestep or KDE, Gnome, icEWM, SOMEthing other than the WindowsXP Explorer...."

See, he's suggesting using them instead of Windows Explorer. He also claims to use OGGenc as an MP3 encoder in another topic. People who run around showing off about the fact that they use an alternative OS are bad enough, but pretending to just to look cool really annoys me.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I am 100% sure that neither KDE or Gnome have been ported to windows. I asked him for proof just to expose him. As for mp3 I mostly use good old LAME along with several other software.

J

Jet Set Willy

By saying that he uses OGGenc he may just mean that he doesn't use MP3s at all, but I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt, not after this thread.

I know some *nix window managers work on Windows with an X server, I've done so myself (was it IceWM? I can't remember). But that's clearly not what he meant, he's just being a fool. Probably thought he was dazzling everybody with brilliance and didn't consider that people would see through his lies. Sad.

J

Jet Set Willy

KDE on Windows

Cygwin, as I thought. It wouldn't integrate with the OS to be used as an actual replacement for Explorer.

Pointless (screenshot). You can see that it just runs in a window, Explorer is still there.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
We connected to an X server at school from a normal win 2000 system several times but neither that or the KDE on Windows link you posted are explorer replacements. To make KDE work on windows they would have to rewrite it just to allow it to have all the control panel tools(to say the least) that explorer has. Making a direct port of KDE or Gnome as a replacement without making heavy changes cant happen.

The best thing I can come up with is a DOS version of KDE... That would be my dream come true but it will never happen... :(

J

Jet Set Willy

That's basically what I said, but with more wrong bits.
The Control Panel is nothing to do with explorer.

DOS KDE is a really stupid idea, 16-bit multitasking on an Intel processor won't work.

suckthismeat

Originally posted by WazWaz+Jan 1 2004, 06:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WazWaz @ Jan 1 2004, 06:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lefteris_D@Jan 1 2004, 06:23 PM
I'm positive that neither Gnome or KDE have been ported to Windows. You might be able to run them with Cygwin, but it's a really rubbish thing to do.

"hasn't anyone here replaced the desktop with something like litestep or KDE, Gnome, icEWM, SOMEthing other than the WindowsXP Explorer...."

See, he's suggesting using them instead of Windows Explorer. He also claims to use OGGenc as an MP3 encoder in another topic. People who run around showing off about the fact that they use an alternative OS are bad enough, but pretending to just to look cool really annoys me. [/b][/quote]
you dont user google very much do you

YES KDE and GNOME have been ported, the gnome port STARTED about 2 years ago, and they both run on top of the Xfree port as mentioned elswhere in the forum... oh yeah, but gnome only works under win2k/xp/etc

In fact, http://xfree86.cygwin.com/ported-software.html is where you will find

And if you noticed I did also mention a port which does not require Cygwin, but DOES replace explorer, which was LITESTEP, which is basically a port of afterstep

J

Jet Set Willy

We already covered this and stated that since they run on top of 1) an emulated *nix layer and 2) don't offer integration with the actual OS, it's pointless, and you are simply name dropping as originally accused. How can you accuse somebody of not using Google when they've already pointed out the information that you think they haven't been able to find? Don't read entire threads much, do you?