Extraction

M.H.A.Q.S.

I wanted to know if you can rip out music and human voices from a song. I mean if there's a software or something; to divide the song into two pieces;

1.) The instrumental
2.) The human voices

NightWish

NotImminentlyCollectable
I don't think such software exists; at least not in the way I think you want.

If you have a sound format that supports many channels/tracks you can do it by using just the vocal tracks or just the instrumental tracks. WAV and MP3 formats -- and anything you'll get by ripping a CD, for example -- will be two channel (left + right) in one track. You can't split this easily. The problem is a lot of the frequencies used by the human voice are shared with the musical instruments. If you attempt to remove one of them you risk "damage" to the other.

Some programs (Cool Edit Pro comes to mind) offer a "vocal removal" feature for stereo tracks. However, they fudge it by masking the left channel with the right channel (invert one and add it to the other to produce one channel). The result is a mono track with all the sound common to both tracks removed. This works in some cases to remove vocals because they are positioned in the centre -- same sound on both tracks -- where as the instruments are spaced out.

J

Jet Set Willy

Usually the best you can do is filter out things at certain frequencies. Obviously this is still going to be destructive to the music in just about any track, though. Get Goldwave and play around with the high-pass and band-pass filters.

You theoretically could get rid of the lyrics if you knew the exact frequencies to filter, but you'd need to be a bit obsessive to do that - and filters aren't good enough to be that precise anyway.

NightWish = GHDpro?

J

Jet Set Willy

Yeah, but secretly GHDpro, perhaps.

He seems alright for an AnimeSuki member. Smart, at least.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I tried to do the same thing using SoundForge(v6) several months ago nad though the vocals were removed the music that remained was terrible... The frequencies were hurt badly.