mega noob

B

bobert2999

Hello everbody... let me first ask, are emulators even legal? I mean, downloading games for free sounds a little, well you know. Also, if someone were to tell me I was the biggest emulator noob in the world and couldnt get a downloaded game to work on a console/pc to save my life, i'd have to agree with them. I mean, my friend kinda told me about these out of the blue. However, I would say I probably know a little more about computers than the average person, so Im assuming I could learn fast. All im asking is, is it legal, and if so, where do I start... thanx :D

the_ghost

emu wizard
yes emulators are legal
you can download some here
http://www.emulator-zone.com/

what is "illegal is if you download games that you dont already own
...for example if you own a NES game lets say its Double Dragon 2

If you have the original cartrige it is only legal for you play the ROM dump from your cartrige to play on it emulators.

Now lets say you own the game and download the rom, then it is illegal for you to have that ROM becuase its not from your cartrige.
now if dont own the game and download the ROM... its the same thing [nobody really listens to this] (well... i dont)

We cant give you links to download roms here so youll have to google it
or download from some form of p2p filesharing program

(p2p is the best way to go in my opinion)

emulation is not that hard
im sort of a newb myself so dont feel like anybody's
try and make fun of you for that
if you have anymore questions just post it we'll try to help you the best way we can.
welcome to the forum...

btw if any feels like they need to clayrify my view on whats legal
and not legal feel free to do so. This is just my opinion.

Last edited:

montpics

Welcome to this forum. :)

B

bobert2999

whats the damage?

first of all, thank you montpics for the welcome. second, i googled a search for roms and found a site called removed. (i just clicked on the first thing i saw.) well i looked in the legal agreement for there rom page wich you must agree to before entering. paragraph 3 read exactly:

You will never hold anyone here at removed, or any other removed (this includes but not limited to the webmaster, staff members or our host) for any damages caused by the ROMs or emulators.

now im cool with agreeing to that but I think it would be good to know, whats the kind of damage roms or emulators can do? (if any)

Last edited by a moderator:

mhl12

there are a lot of fake sites out there that offer you roms but all you end up downloading is spyware or worse. So be careful while searching on google.

B

bobert2999

oh, shoot... terribly sorry about that montpics, ill be sure to read that right away. also, thanks for the welcome phatplaya