Windows XP x64

Neko Koneko

It was released a few days ago, I have it running on my laptop now and although Windows itself seems okay there are a few things I don't like (at a first glance)

1) huge list of incompatible software. I can't even run daemon tools or zonealarm at the moment.
2) crappy drivers. OpenGL isn't working properly and in 32-bit colours UT is slower than it would be on a 486. I'm talking about the first UT here. 16-bit seems to work fine but on Windows XP Home I could run it in 32-bit so it's a step back. Doom 3 won't start at all (OpenGL problem). Also, the touchpad driver doesn't allow me to use the scroll buttons in Firefox.
3) Total seperation of x86 and x64 software. I understand that it is for compatibility reasons but did they really have to create 2 seperate folders for it?

Some things I did like:
1) It's fast. Windows itself that is. Booting is a charm, really.
2) It's based on the Windows 2003 core, and has the number 5.2 instead of 5.1 (32-bit WinXP).

Well, I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I do need my daemon tools though :(

edit: I just played Need for Speed Underground 2 and it runs perfectly fine.

Last edited:

onewecallgod

oooh thats a nice laptop. one of those A64 mobiles with mobile 9700s?

does it feel like XP or server 2003? (ignore if you havent used server 2003 before)

Neko Koneko

Lefteris_D said:
Isn't there supposed to be 32bit core emulation there?

Yes, but it's not working very well with some programs I guess. Right now I'm installing Windows XP Home edition again, I'll wait with x64 until more programs are compatible with it.

@onewecallgod: No, it has a Geforce go 5700

Madaz_rx8

ye i too have had this problem can run CSS fine but cant run SOF2 ive been looking all arround for a patch..

but i installed mine as dual boot so when i want to run other stuff i can go back to home....

Last edited:
Best to wait, once Longhorn comes out, then the 64 show will begin....