32X emulation Mobiles

TheCreator

I'm wondering to see if you can get/ or if one is in development, a 32X emulator for mobiles, for example ones which have Symbian S60 (Nokia 6600, 3650, etc.) Surely if you can get a port of Doom on your mobile to download (search on google), you must be able to get 32x support, or is it too advanced for such phones?

hagbard

It's a bit too much for almost every mobile, imho. I don't know about any 32x mobile emu, only a genesis one afaik. Take a look here

TheCreator

hagbard said:
It's a bit too much for almost every mobile, imho. I don't know about any 32x mobile emu, only a genesis one afaik. Take a look here

Check out http://www.gamemobile.co.uk/doom.htm and you can download the the mobile version of Doom for free. It works flawlessly on my 6600, and takes 2.5MB of data. As Doom was available for the 32X and wasn't any different to the PC version, and the 32X had farely basic 3D graphics, I was thinking it may actually be possible.

The 6600 has a 104 MHZ processor and about 8MByte RAM, whilee the 32X has a total of 53MHZ, and the RAM is about 4MBit plus the Mega Drive ram. I'm not sure about the 3D acceleration, though, but again I think it may be possible, even if the graphics are basic on the phone.

hagbard

emulating the md 32x (Dual Hitachi SH-2 RISC Processors @ 23 Mhz, plus genesis 68000 at 7.61 Mhz, and a 4Mhz Z80) on a 104Mhz one, being the mobile procesors optimized to low power comsumption instead of performance, looks impossible to me. Even would be a huge task to N-Gage

Last edited:

TheCreator

It's fair enough if the 32X has better processors, but I was just thinking it may be possible as graphics on a good phone look better than the 32X, but it must also be the process of actually emulating that is the problem. If 32X games were just converted to be played on a phone, would they run ok?

hagbard

This is not possible, only with the source code and with extremly hard task perhaps, and only perhaps, would be played by a phone. The mobile architecture it's totally different from the 32x one.

CalypsoProject

Emulating the 32x to a mobile is pretty close to impossible(I refuse to say "never").It would be more efficient to simply do a "port" of the game to a mobile. Which brings up another problem,portability. Most 32x games aren't that advanced(and weren't when they came out) but the problem today is that theres about a thousand different mobiles out there with several different architectures. Building a port for a certain cpu wouldn't herald too much support. One would have to port it to several different systems.....if you've got the time......and then someone would want another cellphone/PDA port.....
I'll stick the the "really" nasty stuff;like emulating the Sega Saturn. More info coming soon. :ninja: