Hi from a chick in Canada

WishboneDawn

Hello all. I'm a homeschooling (of a radical lefty no lessons variety) mom of two in Canada. I'm very new to emulators, haven't downloaded one yet. But my interest was sparked when checking out abadonware sites, when pricing parts to build a new gaming computer (which quickly made me wonder what we could do instead with our PIII) and by fond, loving memories of playing Colecovision (would love a good Coleco emulator).

I know nothing yet but I find lurking or asking questions is often the best way to learn something new. Looking forward to posting further. :)

hagbard

I hope you enjoy staying here, welcome to the forum :)

Btw, you can find Colecovision emulators here, such a Virtual ColecoVision or BlueMSX. Sorry but I can't point you any roms 'cause the forum rules, maybe google can help you ;)

Fable

Urban Ninja
An emulator is a program required to play roms. A rom is a game that you play with an emulator. For instance, in order to play... say.. Metroid Fusion, you need the rom, and the Virtual Boy Emulator.

Welcome to the forums. ;)

Genome

north west south west
WishboneDawn said:
Hello all. I'm a homeschooling (of a radical lefty no lessons variety) mom of two in Canada. I'm very new to emulators, haven't downloaded one yet. But my interest was sparked when checking out abadonware sites, when pricing parts to build a new gaming computer (which quickly made me wonder what we could do instead with our PIII) and by fond, loving memories of playing Colecovision (would love a good Coleco emulator).

I know nothing yet but I find lurking or asking questions is often the best way to learn something new. Looking forward to posting further. :)

lol you sound like the coolest mom ever!! i think its easy if you think of it like this, the emulator is a virtual version of your system and roms are your virtual games. (ie your nes rom and nes emulator are your game and your nes respectivly)

btw welcome to the forums i hope you'll stay around for a while :D

WishboneDawn

Genome said:
lol you sound like the coolest mom ever!! i think its easy if you think of it like this, the emulator is a virtual version of your system and roms are your virtual games. (ie your nes rom and nes emulator are your game and your nes respectivly)

btw welcome to the forums i hope you'll stay around for a while :D

LOL. Ever? :)

One of our priorities (besides building a whacking huge AMD gaming computer) is to troll yard sales this summer for old gaming systems and TVs. My DH and I have lots of great memories and want to make sure the kids get a shot at all that great stuff. It wouold just be such a shame to mess that up by sending them to school. ;)

Okay, I am pretty cool.

montpics

Genome said:
lol your awsome most girls i know arent interested in video games. and the few i do know are only into crappy halo. old skool rox!
You're simply never know what most girls are really capable of. :cool:

hagbard

Because they are all... evil? :D

Zach

About anyone I know who grew up with a sister, like I did, will know they can be just as big a console hog as the next person.

WishboneDawn

Wont homeschooling mess up their social lives?

They're going to be gamers. What social lives? :p

Naw, they have lots of fun with all the neighbourhood kids. I tend to think school would just mess up their social lives. Take away their choices about who and how and when they'd like to socialize.

About girls, I don't know. My sister and I were heavy into computer games, consoles (even pen and paper RPG's). I don't know many women now who like gaming but I don't know too many guys who do either as they seem to have given it up. Sad.

montpics

hagbard said:
Because they are all... evil? :D
That's what I said. :D
Butters said:
I know a lot of girls that likes videogames and they are better than me :confused:
Yup, I remembered one girl who is younger than me playing the Counter Strike at cybercafes (that's a long time ago) and once she picked a sniper, she became invicible and no one could beat her even the experts.

Errr, if you asking about my skill in CS, well I was just a noob. Charged, get shot and wait for another round. Made me bored easily. :p