What Kind Type Of Site Do You Like?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
What I mean is what type of site on the way it works. Do you like static sites(just upload some html files and there you have it)? Or something more automatic like dynamic sites(this forum is dynamic)?

So what do you like best? And if it's dynamic is it something that you downloaded(script) and installed yourself or have you made it on your own?

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
I prefer static sites, it's simpler and the url's are generally cleaner.

Some large sites URL's end up looking like this when you click a certain link:

"http://go.msn.go.com/x8012.ddfenf/ODPJP124555422!DDDAAAAAA/_!J!!!!$#>>>>"

Whereas most static sites URL will look more like this after clicking a link:

"http://www.msn.com/Article1.htm"

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
EZ is 100% dynamic and still the url's it uses are simple. It all comes down to how you develop the site to work.

El Fugitivo

I prefer simpler sites in general, as long as they are done with some taste (not as simplistic as, say, Maddox, but not as complicated as, say, eBay). Generally, I've found that the best of these sites are static.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
As long as the system is simple dynamic sites are fine and it's easier to change something.

Danny

It all depends on the site's needs, most of the time plain old html is right for the job.
I think a lot of people focus too much on making "dynamic sites", which aren't really
dynamic. Instead people should focus on making well written, standard compliant
pages.

However I prefer dynamic sites, if done properly.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
I like dynamic sites as they are their easier to maintain. However I think some dynamic sites look a little too "out of the box", if you know what I mean. People download a Content Management Script and barley even edit the defaults. Just looks generic. Of course we all know how good I am at making web sites... lol

WARNING - It's very possible that I dunno what I'm talking about :)

Jay

Sly Little Devil
I don't really know a lot about creating your own CMS, but I'm sure it creates a much more unique web site than just downloading one. (EZ for example) If I knew how to make my own CMS that's what I would use, I will say that much. So far I've used Dreamweaver to do my site. I could really use some help with my site and that's what I'm about to make a new post about. :)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I didnt know about how to make one either but that didnt stop me from developing one of my own that fits my needs.

Some people that have seen it have called it amateur work but all have agreed that is doing exactly what it was meant for.

M.H.A.Q.S.

Dynamic sites are good where there is a need for it. I've seen many emu sites going from static to dynamic. Emuhq is an exception.

But there are times when dynamic sites are difficult to handle and harsh to see.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Emulation related sites are going dynamic because they need to be updated all the time.

bison328

Originally posted by Danny@Dec 10 2003, 02:02 AM
It all depends on the site's needs, most of the time plain old html is right for the job.
I think a lot of people focus too much on making "dynamic sites", which aren't really
dynamic. Instead people should focus on making well written, standard compliant
pages.
I prefer dynamic sites, if done properly. And I also prefer the type of forum...
to have more interaction with all of you... :p
I own a personal website... but I seldom update it, so I also feel shameful...
As a builder how could I ignore my responsibility... :(