Can't run MAME

RStenberg

I just downloaded MAME32 for my Windows XP computer. I unzipped the file, and put my galaga ROM folder in the roms folder. Then I double clicked on MAME.exe. When I do this, two windows open, a black window with a title that starts with a C:/ prompt and ends "MAME.exe" and a message titled "M.A.M.E. usage information" instructing me to "consult the documentation for more information" and asking whether I want to display the documentation. This window also informs me that MAME is a console application, and that I should open it from a command prompt. When I click yes or no on the MAME usage information window, the other window disappears. When I try to type "MAME galaga" into the black window, my computer won't let me. When I run mame.exe from a Run prompt, I get the same results that I've already described. Does the message mean something else when it instructs me to run MAME from a command prompt? I've downloaded two different versions of MAME to see if it wasn't just a problem with the version I downloaded, but apparently it isn't. Please help. Thank you.

RStenberg

Still not working

My roommate explained to me that to get a command prompt, I need to type CMD at the Run prompt. I did this, and ran MAME.exe, but it still won't let me run galaga. What am I doing wrong?

montpics

That is MAME, not MAME32.

Please make sure that you'd pick the right one.

>CLICK HERE!< -Look for MAME32 0.95 or MAME Plus! 0.91 :cool:

hagbard

To use standard cmd mame, basically you need to know a couple of thing.
First of all, you have to type "mame -createconfig" , so a mame.ini will be created. Then open it with the notepad, and edit the rompath. If you want to customize it, go to the subfolder "docs" and open the "windows.txt". Most usual command line options are explained there, and are named almost the same as the .ini entries.

RStenberg

Running MAME

I ran createconfig, and now have an .ini file. I understand what you're saying about customizing the file, but I don't understand what you mean about editing the rompath. What is this, and why do I have to do it? At this point, I'm getting further to running galaga than I did. Now when I try to run it I get a list of all the files that are in my rom folder with the message NOT FOUND, followed by "ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run." This makes no sense to me since I have both a galaga folder in my rom folder, and copies of the individual files that it says I don't have in the rom folder. Any idea what the problem is?

hagbard

The rompath, below it's an example of what I said, the first lines of my mame.ini . Please note that it should match exactlly the name of your mame excutable, so if it's named "mame.exe" the ini should be "mame.ini", but if it's called "mamepp.exe", for example, should be "mamepp.ini". Anyway, if you type createconfig you son't need to worry about ;)
Code:
### mamepp.ini ###

### Frontend Related ###
clones                  1

### Windows path and directory options ###
rompath              d:\emu\arcade\mame\roms\;d:\emu\arcade\mame\roms\sega;e:\
samplepath              d:\emu\arcade\mame\samples
Edit the line that reads "rompath" by replacing waht I have thre (or your own ini) qith the full folder path where you have your mame roms. For example, I have some roms on "d:\emu\arcade\mame\roms\" folder, so I type that on the rompath line. I want to add more folders, then I type ";", and another folder: "d:\emu\arcade\mame\roms\sega", and so on.

The error that mame tells you it's probably mame can't find that set, because it's not in your rom path. You don't need to unzip the roms, just leave them in a "galaga.zip" on your rompath. It's also recommend, it's cleaner and easier to manage your roms.

Once you correctly set your rom path, if it's still don't working, try "mame -verifyroms"
It will tell you if some roms are missing or incorrect. Good luck :)

Last edited:

Robert

Also, it sounds like you've unzipped your galaga roms. Put the zip file into the ROMS folder and try again.

hagbard

hagbard said:
You don't need to unzip the roms, just leave them in a "galaga.zip" on your rompath
Robert said:
Also, it sounds like you've unzipped your galaga roms. Put the zip file into the ROMS folder and try again.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

spotanjo3

DELETE go where the game is click on it directly ok

Hey.. watch your language. It is not cool.

EDIT: If you need help. Let me know and I will be happy to give you an instruction using Windows instead of Dos version, ok ? ;)

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Yeah but I am going to tell him anyway just in case. Again, maybe this thread should be closed.
LOL by him I suppose you mean RStenberg who's last post was on 04-22-2005 at 20:16.. and only posted 3 times during his stay? I don't think he will be back any time soon..

and Hellraiser only has 15 posts and that was also 2.5 years ago, i dont think we will see him again either.

Last edited: