Kawaks program failure

DarthWader

Hello all, and thanks in advance for reading this.

I'm new at the emulation thing. Recently I had a desire to play X-Men: Children of the Atom and tried for ages to find a way to do so. Finally I found Kawaks which seems like a wonderful program. Here's my problem:

I have downloaded and installed Kawaks 1.54. The paths for my ROMs, etc., are set fine, and I have downloaded MAME ZIPs for both the X-Men: Children of the Atom US Version and it's parent, the European version. This allowed the games to show up when I clicked Load Game -> Only Available. I double clicked on one of the games listed and it ran through its various loading steps and ended with "Decrunching GFX ROMs" and finally "Initialising video" and then the program just closed on me. No error messages or anything, the window just disappeared.

I deselected Auto Start Game and it turns out it does get to the Paused phase; it just will not start (as soon as I push Start Emulation the window disappears again). So I thought maybe it's just the ROM. I got another game file (Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter) and tried it; same thing happened. Thinking maybe there was some version conflict, I got rid of 1.54 and got Kawaks 1.46. Same problem. I'm at a loss so I thought I would post here and see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks a bunch,

Wade

Last edited:

DarthWader

Thanks, I may have to go with that. When I was looking for one it seemed that Kawaks was more popular and/or better designed/updated, which is why I went with that. I'll hold out a little longer and hope, but if not I'll give MAME a try. Thanks a bunch, and great avatar!

By the way, I'm running Windows XP.

Wade

hagbard

You might try change the video memory allocation (Video -> Video mem allocation -> try the 3 options). I'd try to install your latest video card drivers also.

If still doesn't work, you might like Nebula. It's a very good emu, too. Mame it's the most accurate CPS-1/2 & neoGeo emulator for sure, it's slower than those, but don't matter if your system it's fast enough. Mame32 it's easy to use too.