Probably a stupid question...

Kineticboy2001

I have Chankast and the nessesary BIOS stuff but I'm wondering something, how do I play games? Is it a ROM/ISO sorta thing or can I just put in a game and play? Any help would be appreciated. ^^

Jale

You can put a Dreamcast CD on it and play, but remember that you must have to set the video to NTSC in order to play.

MONKEY_NUTS

Butters said:
You can put a Dreamcast CD on it and play, but remember that you must have to set the video to NTSC in order to play.

You can't play a dreamcast games which are using gd rom, only iso or cdr's from your local pikey. :dry:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Butters said:
Mmmm.... Strange...

Not really. The structure of a GD-ROM is different from a CD-ROM. I'm not a technician, but it has something to do with the distance of the pits in the surface of the media. A normal CD-ROM laser is not able to read that.

Genome

north west south west
alcoatjez said:
Not really. The structure of a GD-ROM is different from a CD-ROM. I'm not a technician, but it has something to do with the distance of the pits in the surface of the media. A normal CD-ROM laser is not able to read that.

i think i remember reading a cd-rom could read it you just can use cd-rom in a dreamcast b/c the bios has programming only to recognize gd-rom disks. hackers developed a program that would bypass that and they made pirated games on cd-roms using this program. my guess would be that they could be run in a cd-rom but i havent tried it. if you want more on dreamcast and gd-roms i suggest googling it.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Genome said:
i think i remember reading a cd-rom could read it you just can use cd-rom in a dreamcast b/c the bios has programming only to recognize gd-rom disks. hackers developed a program that would bypass that and they made pirated games on cd-roms using this program. my guess would be that they could be run in a cd-rom but i havent tried it. if you want more on dreamcast and gd-roms i suggest googling it.

Most DCs can read CD-ROMs. IIRC only a few of the latest models can't. The pirated games are made by using a cable that connects the DC to a PC. There is one other option, which is putting a GD-ROM drive in your PC or getting a DC devkit. Both options are really expensive. Sometimes these can be found on Ebay.

Genome

north west south west
oh i c. the article i read didnt go into detail on how exactly it was done. it was far more generalized than i had expected it to be (obviously for legal reasons it had to be).i apologize :( ..continue discussion :p