Emulator Problem: Need help with BBC Micro!

wizface2137

I'm trying to emulate the BBC Micro version of Donkey Kong Junior. I can boot up the game just fine, but inputs aren't working. I'm running a 32 bit Windows XP, tried the BeebEm and Modelb-dx8 emulators, there is a B-Em emulator but my PC won't allow me to download it due to it being a suspicious link.

In either emulator, I've managed to boot up other games and have no issue, but I'm just stuck at the title screen for DK Jr. I've tried hooking up a joypad, or messing around with the input keys for the emulated keyboard, but so far nothing I've tried has worked. Can anybody get this game up and running and tell me what my issue is? It would be much appreciated!

Robert

I tried it using MESS, and found a few keys that worked, but not the Jump key, so still unplayable.

After booting it with Shift-Break (Shift-F12 in MESS), it shows the title screen followed by the high scores.
Press F2 to use Z & X to move left & right. Press F3 to use the arrow keys to move left & right.
F7 - pause & unpause
F6 - music off
F5 - music on
The only other key to do anything is D, and the game freezes. The only way out is to press F12 to exit the game.

wizface2137

I always forget about MESS, always due to having issues haha, I did manage to get Dragon Ball Daihikyou for the Epoch Super Cassette Vision up and running though, that was pretty fun. I tried MESS, using the QMC loader, and even though I have the BIOS files I'm still getting a grey icon on the BBC systems. Hmm. Ah well, it probably won't be playable for me either through MESS, just wanted to poke around haha.

I've tried 2 more emulators since posting. Horizon, and JSBeeb, same result. I do find it rather interesting that MESS seems to be the closest one in making this game playable despite competing with other dedicated emulators though. If only there were a way to recreate the input functionality that MESS has going in one of the other emulators, I'd imagine the dedicated emulators would have a higher chance of running smoothly without freezing.

Regardless of whether this minor issue will be resolved, I thank you for your time :)

TheMoog

Hi there!

jsbeeb developer here. We've noticed a few weird keyboard issues, and this is another one to add to our list! We'll be actively trying to work this one out: there's a bug filed on the jsbeeb issues page if you want to follow along!

Pernod

I tried it using MESS, and found a few keys that worked, but not the Jump key, so still unplayable.

Press F2 to use Z & X to move left & right. Press F3 to use the arrow keys to move left & right.

The only other key to do anything is D, and the game freezes. The only way out is to press F12 to exit the game.

Jump is RETURN(ENTER), and it does work, though the game is unplayable due to running at double speed. No idea what D is supposed to do, but just confirmed that it also freezes the game on real hardware.