PDA

View Full Version : Help with FFIX

GenesisX
February 23rd, 2005, 02:49
I'm currently using epsxe 1.5.2 just for FFIX because I hear that it has fewer problems than with 1.6.0. I have the actual game (CD) if that matters. Anyway, when I'm playing, sometimes the music will get really slow, then speed up really fast, and slow down again when I go to a different screen or area, etc. Is there a way to make the music stop fluctuating like this? Also, is there some method to keep the framerate from getting incredibly low (like in the 20's...soo slooow)?

Jale
February 23rd, 2005, 03:20
Change to Ethernal SPU plugin (If I'm not mistaken that it's called that way) and make sure you have the FPS limit on.

GenesisX
February 23rd, 2005, 03:27
Thanks, I'll try that. (Btw, I already use the Eternal sound plugin.) Anyway, does that also take care of the incredibly low FPS I sometimes experience? And also, does Frame Skipping help the game become less choppy and so incredibly slow?
epsxe works great except for the occasional start of battles and such that move at 9 frames per second...grrr.
Is 1.6.0 faster than 1.5.2?

GenesisX
February 24th, 2005, 01:18
I thought that maybe I should give my PC's specs. Thing is, it's 3-4 years old, so yeah...

AMD Duron 800MHz
Windows ME
128mb RAM
ATI Rage Mobility 8mb RAM
Need I say more? :(

Jale
February 24th, 2005, 01:36
These specs are fine to run the emulator. If you enable Frame Limit and FPS skip should do the trick. About FFIX, I have never played it on ePSXe, so I don't know.

I recommend 1.5.2 more than 1.6.0 because 1.5.2 is more stable.

GenesisX
February 24th, 2005, 02:41
Cool, thanks a lot for your help :). I really appreciate it.

Jale
February 24th, 2005, 03:05
Here to serve :)

GenesisX
February 24th, 2005, 05:35
Hm, I just looked up some things, and I read that making an ISO image thingy of the CD is much faster than running off of the CD itself. Is that true?
Meh, my HD has 10gb total so I won't be able to store many ISOs.....

Edit: Also, anyone know what the problem is if the question marks and exclamation points above Zidane's head are inverted in color? As in black bubble with white punctuation in it...

GenesisX
February 24th, 2005, 08:35
Meh, can only edit last post...anyway, I added that last bit onto my last post, for those who hadn't seen it.

montpics
February 24th, 2005, 12:22
Use PSXeven as the best for slower computers. :cool:

Running with ISO will be faster than running with the CD. (Needs to read the disc while running the emulator.)

Exclamation and question marks above Zidane's head indicate that there are some items hidden there or switches. Click action button to activate it. :cool:

GenesisX
February 24th, 2005, 23:17
Using epsxe 1.5.2, the game seems to run fine most of the time, except for the occasional baaad lag. Anyone else recommend PSXeven as a good emulator? Also, maybe I should rephrase my last question: Zidane's bubble is inverted in color, as in there is a black bubble (instead of the normal white bubble) with a white-ish punctuation mark in it, whatever it may be. Is there a way to fix this inversion of color? It happens only with the bubble, as far as I have seen.

Jale
February 24th, 2005, 23:23
Well, maybe something wrong with your video card.

GenesisX
February 24th, 2005, 23:29
Hmm, maybe...but it's been working fine until just recently. It was when I got into Lindblum that it started happening. I was so annoyed that I couldn't see the FMV of the gate cuz it was so choppy (like 10 FPS or less maybe :P) that I played with the settings some. Then I noticed the black bubble. :\
Also, so is it recommended that I take my CD and make an ISO, or is it really not worth it with my specs and HD space and all that?
Thanks for the replies.

Jale
February 24th, 2005, 23:55
CD or ISO... they both run fine, but an ISO reduces loading time.

montpics
February 26th, 2005, 10:55
Hmm, maybe...but it's been working fine until just recently. It was when I got into Lindblum that it started happening. I was so annoyed that I couldn't see the FMV of the gate cuz it was so choppy (like 10 FPS or less maybe :P) that I played with the settings some. Then I noticed the black bubble. :\
Also, so is it recommended that I take my CD and make an ISO, or is it really not worth it with my specs and HD space and all that?
Thanks for the replies.
PSXeven should be the best if your PC is very low specs and found out that ePSXe is pretty bad for the performance. So, try it as the interface of the emulator is very much as same as ePSXe.

What plugins did you use specially GPU plugin? Better use Pete DX7 or something like that.

Making an ISO......
The good is it would be faster if you running with ISO. Furthermore, you would never want to let your precious CD being scratched or worse, do you?
The bad is it would take a lot of HD space in order of making an ISO of it.

GenesisX
February 26th, 2005, 17:55
Actually, yesterday I tried something that I think made epsxe work. I made an SBI file (took like 5 minutes) and then FFIX started running pretty smoothly, with frameskipping on. I use the first video plugin option there is (D3D or something like that). Yeah, ISO files seem pretty big, so I'll probably just stay with the CD. I don't have any problems with the new settings so far. :) Thanks tho.