Emulator with blinky lights

robsbots

Hi everyone.

I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. I am lookng for an emulator for a computer/processor of some type. I would like an emulator that has an editor to allow you to enter assembler, and assemble and run it. I would also like lots of blinky lights. Front panel switches would be a bonus. Not really worried what it emulates as long as I can find an instruction set on line somewhere and can see register contents/memory values displayed as the program is run.

I have played with the Altair emulator from www.altair32.com. This is similar to what I'm after, but would like to be able to view register contents as it changes. If this is via blinky lights, all the better.

If it runs on Linux that would be perfect. If not I have XP on a virtual machine to run this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for any sugestions.

Rob.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Rob, I don't know what you are after here but sounds to me like you should look in to AVR. You could get AVR studio and code in C or asm and then program the MCU. Then of course you could get LEDS and blink away. Though I really dont understand the goal here and thing your on the wrong forums.

robsbots

Hi ulaoulao.

I'm after software rather than hardware. What I would like to find is an emulator that emulates one of the older computers. Something like an Altair or similar. I would like the registers displayed as lights (Not actual led's, but light red circle graphics for on, dark red circle graphics for off). Take a look at the link I posted earlier for some idea of what I'm after. I'm not interested in playing games on the emulator. I would like to program it with assembley code, and be able to see the accumulator register displayed live as the program runs. This will enable me to see what is happening inside the emulated cpu. If it can display register values as numbers that would work as well, but lights are always nice. A built in assembler wuold also be a bonus as this would mean I would not need to find software for the emulator, or corss compile code to run on it.

Thanks

Rob