ePSXe crashed and kept being detected by the antivirus, use PCSX-Reloaded instead

Kraken96

Let me tell you a little story of my times with ePSXe back in the day, I used to play a lot of games with that emulator, and also ran into a lot of problems with the configuration, but oh was it nice finding about the gorgeous graphics of Pete's DirectDraw plugin by myself. Cut back to the present day and ePSXe just wouldn't, stop, crashing, every, single, time...

One:
I didn't know if it was the resolution configuration, tried changing it many times.

Two:
I didn't know if it was the plugin configuration, tried changing it many times.

Three:
I didn't know if it was something I was unaware of, tried messing around with different plugins.

Four:
I didn't know it it was the emulator itsef, this I would find out after a while.

After a while and getting fed up with the antivirus making me restart and sanely listening.. want good advice? Listen to your antivirus when it tells you of a threat or to restart, trust me on this one, you won't regret it in the long run. Anyways as I was saying, I got fed up and decided to try another emulator, lo and behold when I noticed PCSX-Reloaded had its own plugins, decided to give them a try... OH, MY, GOODNESS, crisp graphics and sound, so tell me, have you tried PCSX-Reloaded yet?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
My experience has been entirely different. My anti-virus picks up no virus from my espxe, and overall I get the best graphics out of Pete's OpenGL2 driver. Where have you been downloading your espxe? Whats your anti-virus? Ive tried PCSX-Reloaded, and I like using that as well.

Machinedramon

I have lots of emulators and never have I gotten a virus :/ I got them from cool rom except for the pcsx2 which I got from pcsx2.net. All safe so you must be getting them from a bad site. Usually anti virus will have a green check mark if the site is safe or a yellow exclamation point to tell you to be wary but should be fine. But never go to a site that has a red x near the link :/ And no I haven't tried reloaded yet and probably won't. I will stick with epsxe :p

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Emulators read and hack in to roms.
Viruses read and hack in to files.
Virus detectors look for this behavior.
Are there really any more questions?

Yes emulators can show up like a virus, its up the the user to figure our if its a virus. Not sure if the emulator is packed with a virus? download it from a trusted source like this site.

Kraken96

Can't seem to edit my post so replying with an update to the situation. The new version of ePSXe not only does not crash like before, but it also has better graphics and sound, and has less glitches(some games didn't work well on PCSX-Reloaded), crazy I know but it's good news.