Emulator Problem: Loading save states from previous ROM in PCSX2

durrane

Hello,

Sorry if this question has already been asked - I searched and found a lot about memory card save files, but not the save state files. Hope someone can help me out.

I was playing a game, but had to format my computer for an unrelated reason. I backed up the "PCSX2" folder from My Documents, then when my computer was up and running again, I restored my backups. One issue is that I am using a different copy of the ROM than I was before, but the same game.

Anyhow, when I load the game now I can load my saves from the memory card, but not the saved states. The folder "sstates" in PCSX2 has files in it that must represent these saved states (this is the only game I've played), but even if I try to open them directly using PCSX2 I get the error "File not found. Path: IsoFileSystem". Does this have something to do with my ROM not being in the same directory it was previously, or maybe not using the exact same ROM as previous...? Is there any way to load these saved states?

Thanks for your time everyone!

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
One issue is that I am using a different copy of the ROM than I was before
Save states will only work with matching roms. You can not charge rom files.

durrane

Okay, thanks for the info. Follow-up I guess: how does the emulator "know" which version of the ROM I am using? If I find the original ROM, will it just revert back to using the existing save states automatically?

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
well few things, this depends on the dump.

1) make sure the rom name matches the save name perfectly. If not rename the rom not the save to match. Try to load the state. If it loads immediately save again.
2) depends on the language, they must be the same, U for U ,E for E, or what ever.
3) Since this is a CD dump type of rom, depends on how it was dumped, many ways to do this but think of it this way. If the game is loaded and certain data saved tells the game what hex is what during that session, then it has to match up right. Its possible it will read the wrong place on the CD. Just depends on how the emulation was written.

So if you can match it up or get the original dump, it will load.