Emulator pages need changed

SonofUgly

This site is the first thing that pops up when searching for most console emulators, but the emulators that are recommended here are outdated. A ton of users come here trying to find the best emulator to use and they get bad info. If anyone here can changed some things it would benefit a lot of new comers.
First off, remove all user ratings. Most popular != best - especially when the best emulator for a console isn't even listed. Also I'm sure most of these ratings came in in the mid-2000s.
Also it's a good idea to link to dev builds, as projects like PCSX2, PCSX-R, Snes9x, Mupen64Plus, etc. can go years in-between stable builds.
Gamecube:
This just shows how wrong user ratings are, all emulators are within 2 points, however only 1 of them can play a game from beginning to end.
N64:
PJ64 1.6/2.1 (2.1 broke some things and fixed some things from 1.6) and M64+ are the best N64 emulators currently. M64+ doesn't have a built in GUI however so a frontend build like M64py or using RetroArch (once version 1.0 is released) should be recommended for most users. There's also CEN64 coming up, but only for topend PCs.
GameBoy:
VisualBoyAdvance shouldn't be recommended anywhere as it's last release was 8 years ago. Gambatte is the probably the best and most accurate GB/GBC emulator out there, barring that VBA-M's latest dev build (which does support linking, but not netplay like TGB Dual (which you also link to an outdated version of)). A lot of people are looking to play Shantae with the new game being talked about, VBA wont play it properly.
GBA:
Again, VBA-M, not VBA.
SNES:
This still list ZSNES as the go to emulator... Should be bsnes/higan balance for decent PCs, or Snes9x for lower power PCs. Or use the bsnes/snes9x core in RetroArch.
NES:
This page just list a lot of abandoned mediocre emulators. Should be Nintendulator/puNES for accuracy, and Nestopia (RetroArch) for lowend PCs.
NDS:
Correct, but page needs updated. Also maybe put something in there about turning on Dynarec on Desmume for better speeds.
VB:
Should make mention of Mednafen, as IIRC it's the only one to play every VB game without any major glitches.
PS1:
Mednafen (has a RetroArch core) and XEBRA are the most accurate PS1 emulators and will even play on most lowend PCs/laptops. PCSX-Reloaded has more features and higher accuracy than ePSXe (like widescreen hack, poly jitter reduction, and can use different controller plugins like Lilypad).
Xbox:
Cxbx can play 5 games and is still being updated, while Xeon can play Halo.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I agree as well, and it has been on my mind for a while. I just got back from work, so I am a little too tired to dissect most of your suggestions, or ague things that are justified on this site. I wonder if the admins feel the same.

We are also working on an overhaul in our plugin section if you would like to join in on that.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Although this seems like a bit of a rant, I have to agree with the majority of what he said. The best point being this is the go to site (.) So why not give it a clean up. Also as pointed out RetroArch should have a mention on here somewhere.

Bnes has claimed every snes game is fully playable and 100% accurate. So If your computer can handle it, it's simply the best emulator period. Bsnes is now part of the higan project and higan emulates most Nintendo games gb to snes.

Last edited: