is there any unix/linux users??

LoGoS_dArK

im droppin my old ghetto ms-dos for a backround unix format........right now i got a duel hd system........i run win98SE on my 40G & linux on my other 40G........im wonderin if there's anyone else uses unix as a background format system or linux as there primary os??

montpics

Two hard disk, 40GB for each. 10GB for Win98, 20GB for WinXP and 10GB for Mandrake. Others can be shared one another. :)

Now, I reconsider install another OS once I had a new hard disk in future. Or, probably not.

LoGoS_dArK

nice, well right now i got 2 internal hd's that are 40G each..........and one more that is a 180G external hd.........too much room for me, im like a kid in a candy shop, i got all of this room and i got all of this stuff that i wanna put in it, im having fun!! :D

montpics

Hmmm, just wish I had enough space on my precious hard disks. Gets full easily every day and I had to burn it into a CD. Ah well...... :rolleyes:

LoGoS_dArK

you can pick up a 180G hd for like $89 at walmart right now, thats dirt cheap!!

LoGoS_dArK

well, me too, but i just used some of my student loans to draw out a in-direct loan to get some more cash for my comp!!

LoGoS_dArK

okay, if youve never seen it before, it might sound a bit weird or hard to use......some people think off the bat that they are intiminated by it, but it really is easy to use..........its set up a little bit like ms-dos, without the black background, want i mean is that it a operating system that runs on complete text proccessing.........you know on windows where you can go to the run option, to define exactly where you want to go, well linux is set up exactly like that all of the time........once you get used to it, it is very easy to use, it just isnt as user friendly as windows is setup, thats why most people tend to shy a way from it & use windows instead.......i hope that, that help you understand it a little better!!

LoGoS_dArK

yep, have you ever used unix before, unix is the basis operatoring system for all of the OS's that we have now, it was started in the early 70's........after that had made it, into a real OS, they came out with Linux for a user friendly OS for business owners in the big business world...........but when mac & windows came in, they were a lot more user friendly then anyone had ever seen, so people just quit usin linux all together, but with all of the security leaks in mac &
windows, linux is a more sercure OS to use!!

nesman

There are only 6 known viruses for Mac...so don't put Mac down like that. And security leaks? So far I've haven't heard of any security leaks for Mac. So I don't know why you put Mac where Windows is :glare:

Last edited:

LoGoS_dArK

calm down, compared to linux which doesnt have any leaks at all, six is alot, but i know what you mean by me puttin mac next to windows in that catagory, but i was try to make a point to why people left linux in the first place and why they should come back now, thats all!!

J

Jet Set Willy

LoGoS_dArK said:
calm down, compared to linux which doesnt have any leaks at all, six is alot, but i know what you mean by me puttin mac next to windows in that catagory, but i was try to make a point to why people left linux in the first place and why they should come back now, thats all!!

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Linux doesn't have any leaks at all? Oh. Okay. So the mass of root exploits don't exist? There are no buffer overflows? People never need to install security updates? Riiight.

Listen Buster. Most of Linux and its applications are written in C. C is drastically prone to buffer overflow exploits, and so is Linux. Almost every application written for the OS can potentially be remotely exploited. A Linux installation 1 year out of date will have many programs and services installed by default with known weaknesses which can easily be exploited, giving the attacker root access to the machine.

Security comes through intelligence, good management and knowledge. You couldn't secure a chastity belt on a fat chick in Fort Knox.

Jale

Would you mind to calm down lad? You are only making problem here, just take your time to relax. Maybe you met LoGoS somewhere, but this is not the boxing ring :glare:

RockY

L H D T P M
I see no problems here, it's true... buffer overflows that are part of some applications that run on the Linux platform may not get the same attention as the Windows ones, but they exists and not to mention that those are dangerous too.

Jale

RockY said:
I see no problems here, it's true... buffer overflows that are part of some applications that run on the Linux platform may not get the same attention as the Windows ones, but they exists and not to mention that those are dangerous too.
I know it's true but that's not the way to treat people.