Modem Problems

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL

i hav some troubles with my modem... here it goes: i hav a 56K modem but here is the thing it displays: status:
duration:
speed: 31.2 Kbps

a few years back when i had my other 56K modem that broke down, it had a connection speed of 52.6 Kbps and i played online games quite fast but now this new crappy modem ruined everything that i played online... heeeeelllllpppp! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
F

froster1990

Try erasing your history and cookies, and download a spyware program, some spyware programs can really slow down your computer.

LoGoS_dArK

ahh good suggestion, but spyware wouldnt have anythin to w/ modem speed, just the ram speed.......this is wot i suggest that u do:
-first uninstall ur modem from ur comp then see if it needs to be cleaned
-second put the modem back in the comp
-third find out the full modem name, includin serial #, & the modem software driver
-go to driver.com w/ that info, then get a generic version of the modem software driver
-then unistall the old software, then replace w/ the new generic version

see if this will help u out, if not, i can probably get u through it another way, k!!

F

froster1990

:confused: What i'm lacking here is smarts... How can you know that much!!! Also it might be that I have no Modem, just high speed... :confused:

LoGoS_dArK

well, it helps that i have my own comp business..........PC plus..........i get ?'s like that all of the time!!

Jale

froster1990 said:
Try erasing your history and cookies, and download a spyware program, some spyware programs can really slow down your computer.
ANTI-spyware program.

Danny

LoGoS_dArK said:
ahh good suggestion, but spyware wouldnt have anythin to w/ modem speed, just the ram speed.......this is wot i suggest that u do:
-first uninstall ur modem from ur comp then see if it needs to be cleaned
-second put the modem back in the comp

Why would you say this? His modem is obviously connected properly and it is
possible that spyware could be slowing down his internet connection. Don't
give people poor advice just to brag how you're a "software/hardware
troubleshooter".

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL: What speeds can you get downloading? If it's 4.5kb/s or
more, your connection isn't really slow. Your connection speed can be
effected by the quality of your phone line, if you use an extension that could
be where the problems at. Scan for spyware like froster said, it could be
taking up your bandwidth making downloads slower. Also update your drivers
like LoGoS_dArK said, but don't bother about taking out your modem then
putting it back in, that's just pointless.

Have a look at this link and try what they say.
http://www.56k.com/trouble/connect.shtml

Last edited:

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL

hmmmm... i was thinkin about apgrading my modem to high speed dsl but the prices here are really damn high... card are alot cheaper tho...

my old modem downloads at 6.2 KBPS,,, damn fast for a modem.... played CS quite fine with that old one but it broke down due to overusage

this might have a prob. with the modem cuz my comp. hangs sometimes while dialing... :confused:

Last edited:
J

Jet Set Willy

Jesus Christ... RAM speed?! What do you think "RAM speed" is, LoGoS? How do you suppose it affects the modem drivers and TCP/IP functionality of the OS?

Prick.

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL

the line might be broken... tried you advise tho logos, thanks for the help.... i still think that its the modem that is broken... :) LOL! :happy:

LoGoS_dArK

okay, my bad, for that little bit of messed up advice, it was like 8:00am, i guess i wasnt thinkin right, i just really hope that the guy gets his modem workin again!! :fuckyou: