Emulator Problem: Im new and dont understand the reasons why...

Roun Cole

Hello, I only just started with all of this and I am way in over my head...

For me this whole thing started with wanting to play 'test drive eve of destruction' again and not being able to. I looked all around the internet to find a PC version or what have you, and the best I could do was an ISO for a PS2 copy, I have experience with ISO files so I didnt think it would be that big of a deal. I went looking for a good free emulator that would let me use the ISO and I needed up with PCSX.

When I first get the thing open and try to use it, it tells me it needs to be configured, sounds reasonable, but then it turns into needing to get date from various places and having it not understand the data I get, and on and on.

I guess my question is, why does it have to be so freaken complicated...

First of all, why post am emulator for download if the files are incomplete, secondly, why do I need to have a PS2 to get the 'bios', isnt the point of an emulator that you dont have a PS2 in the first place?

The point of all this is that the whole thing just looks ridiculous, if the emulator needs a freaken technician in order to be used then what exactly is the point of the emulator? I used Dosbox for some really old PC games and the worst it needed was to setup directories so the emulator would know whats what, this is a technical disaster all its own...

All of my complaints and rambling aside, I need help finding a PS2 emulator that actually 'works' so it can be used by a simple human being like me... Can anyone help me out?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
whooooo there budddy ;) Number one) emulation is a sinch, number two we will help you...

Ok lets start with a few questions here, anything I miss just re-ask.

I guess my question is, why does it have to be so freaken complicated...
We all know different things in this world and we are good in some areas and not in others. Very few people come around here that feel as you do and most are young-ins. So i'm sure its just a matter of getting use to it and yes some of us take that for granted. All emulators for the most part have tutorials out there and yes I know sometimes info is not completely explained.

First of all, why post am emulator for download if the files are incomplete,
I dont follow that one? Some emulators ask that you download plugins but most of them included all you need. Now you will see missing dlls. If you didn't make the dll you obviously cant included it, that's illegal as it can infringe on copy writes. Other dll's are expected to be on your system and the authors can't make every buddy happy. Some dll's go out of date so its recommended you install the new packages. If you buy windows you dont really get a word processor you have to go buy that. In my opinion that is wrong, to each there own.

secondly, why do I need to have a PS2 to get the 'bios', isnt the point of an emulator that you dont have a PS2 in the first place?
A bios is code ripped form the console distributing it is illegal.

The point of all this is that the whole thing just looks ridiculous, if the emulator needs a freaken technician in order to be used then what exactly is the point of the emulator? I used Dosbox for some really old PC games and the worst it needed was to setup directories so the emulator would know whats what, this is a technical disaster all its own...
Dosbox emulates an environment and not a console. Asking windows to emulate Dos that windows once ran on top of is like a commodity. Reverse engineering a game console so "kids" can play game for free on there computers is aiding in theft if you think about it.

All of my complaints and rambling aside, I need help finding a PS2 emulator that actually 'works' so it can be used by a simple human being like me... Can anyone help me out?
There is only one that works well and that is pcsx2, contrary to what you think its a snap to set up. I cant give you a magic password here or wave my wand. You just have to take it step by step like we all did at some point.

Missing files, google will get you the file. Just takes a bit of work. Some files we can link you to others legally we cant.
install help, look for the tutorials or ask specific questions we will help.
Anything else just ask.

Last edited:

Roun Cole

Ok, I guess I have to give painstaking detail to make this work...

First of all, the game I want to play does not exist in modern technology, so how can I steal something that doesnt exist? The game I want to play is an old original xbox game that is hard to find because most of them are trash and they dont make new ones. Most if not all old old games wont work on the new consoles, especially without internet access because those microsoft bastards demand that you pay money then insist that you dont own it when you pay for it...

So finding the game I want is very hard, and getting what I need to make it work is harder still, I managed to find an ISO copy floating around with torrents so I got it, finally, after days of trying... Now all I need is some kind of platform to use it on... dont tell me its ethically wrong for me to want to play a game that I cant really even pay for anymore... not to mention those sons of whores sell us stuff and then declare that we dont own it when we pay for it, what kind of bullshit is that?

If I go and buy a car, do I own the car, or does the manufacturer retain ownership of it? its all bullshit...

The point of it all is that I want to do something thats almost impossible to do today whither you pay a rat bastard for it or not... The emulators I find all come without the vital crap they need to work, i need bios, which I dont care what excuse you make, when you buy something you own it and have every right to it, if not, refund every dime ever spent on it, then tell us what to do with our property... I dont have other crap which I forget what they were because I deleted the worthless thing over a week ago.

Look, do you people have sincerity for this crap or are you just here to be an agitation... either there is a working emulator or there isnt, just give it to me straight...

Roun Cole

Ok, progress, I finally found a copy of PCSX2 that actually works, I mounted the ISO I have and it started running for a moment. I had one eye on the script page and one on the emulator screen, on the emulator screen it was black with a little spinning thing in the lower right corner, much like a loading icon. The script however gave me an 'out of Fifo's!!!' error, so I made progress, just a new ray of sunshine to keep me here...

I looked all over google search and couldnt find anything directly related to what im dealing with, from what I saw though Fifo means 'first in first out' which has to do with processing? Im just a laymen on all this but what im thinking is that im in the wrong zone, the game is NTSC and I think I have PCSX set to NTSC but im not entirely sure...

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well fifo is a class in the source of pcsx2. It handles the input output data reading. The error would indicate some sort of under run. If the emulators runs out of "fifos" its out of data thus can not continue. This could mean fragmented drives, bad iso rips, memory issues, or just a false error.

Agreed there is no info on this around. So let looks at the simple things.

1) Do you know that dvd rip is any good?
2) does the game show up on the compatibility list?
3) did you download a stable released or a sub ver build?

Now you regurgitated all over the forums here on that second post... Sort of reminds me a little 3 year old crying because his new space ranger toy does not work without batteries. Really, did you think that was going to help you in some way? The rules are what they are, the rules that apply to emulators are what they are. No one is is going to twist your arm. Ig you want advice from this board respect the board rules. If you want to pirate software do it elsewhere.

Oh and what is this crap about an Xbox game, are you trying to play an xbox game on the pcsx emulator?

Last edited: