how would i go about converting a ZSNES or SNES9X movie into a gif?

dar0ckl3ttm

zsnes or snex9x, it doesn't matter. Basically what I want to do is, for example, take a gif of Mario running and shooting his fireballs. So I would first record a clip of him doing that on the emulator, then what?

Jale

There is a trick I did some time ago...

There is a feature in Zsnes called Snapshot/Increment frame. It allows you to catch every frame of the game, of course, you won't be able to save as GIF. It will save as BMP or PNG.

- Play the Zsnes movie.
- Press F1 and a menu will pop up.
- Save as PNG (recommended).
- Look for a program that creates animated GIFs such as CofeeCup or Macromedia Flash.
- Import every frame and thats it.

dar0ckl3ttm

import every frame? won't that take forever?! usually how many frames can there be in a normal gif for an avatar?

realg123

how to make a gif using znes

got this tutorial from a site, very well explained, i have created many gifs using this tutorial

\ Sprite Ripping Guide - Zsnes - For Emucation.COM
\\ Created by Bloodthirsty - 24th May 2004
\\ Copyright (c) Bloodthirsty 2004

\\====================================================================//

\\ Table Of Contents:

\\ 1. Introductory
\\ 2. What is Sprite Ripping?
\\ 3. What do I need?
\\ 4. Let's Start
\\ 5. Contact
\\ 6. Legal

\\ 1. Introductory

Dont know how to sprite rip from Zsnes? Well you have come to the right place!!! This guide will take you over the basics you need to learn to sprite rip using animation shop 3, Zsnes and a
rom. If you still need more help just contact me on the forums by PM ( Bloodthirsty is me ) or look further down and you can find my contact info.

\\ 2. What is Sprite Ripping?

Sprite ripping is the ripping of images which are called sprites. When ripping sprites you will
need a rom, an emulator, and if you want to make it animated you would obviously need an
animation program to create it. I will tell you all the programs etc you will need to create an
animated sprite.

\\ 3. What do I need?

There isn't many programs needed for this. All you will need is Animation Shop 3 ( comes with Paintshop Pro 7 ), Zsnes emulator, you can get that from Emucation's emulator section and a rom. The rom you pick can be any you want. You can find PaintShop Pro on KaZaA.

\\ 4. Let's Start.

Ok first open up your emulator ( Zsnes ) and load up a rom I am using Megaman X3. Get to the point where you want to rip a sprite and press ctrl+1, ctrl+2, ctrl+3, and ctrl+4, this will leave just the sprite and a background color. Now press F1, F1 brings up a little menu with a list of option which is much better then using Print Screen. In the menu highlight Snapshot/Incr Frame and keep pressing that until the animation is finished. In the folder Zsnes is in there should be a bunch of images.

Now to open up Animation Shop 3.

1. Go to File> Animation Wizard ( or press shift+A ).
2. First it will ask you what dimensions you want your image to be check the "Same size as the first image" box then next.
3. Next you will check the transparent box and go to the color box and change the color to full white ( #FFFFFF ) Then click next.
4. Next check the "Upper left corner of the frame" box, then check the "with canvas color" and click Next.
5. Click the "Yes, repeat animation indefinately" and put the number to 10 and press next.
6. Here is where you will add the images. Click Add images and find where all the images are stored and press ctrl and click all the images you want.
7. Do not press next yet. You will need to order the images by name, so the first image would be image.bmp, then image2.bmp and so on. If you dont do this the first frame could be in the middle and the last could be at the start. To move them just select the image and press move up or move down. Then press next then press finish.
8. Ok your animation should be displayed frame by frame. Now press ctrl+a that will select all frames. Now select the crop tool and crop around your animation making sure you dont chop out anything in each frame then press crop button. It doesnt have to be perfectly cropped yet.
9. Now select the Dropper tool. Go Up to Animation> Replace color and a menu will come up. Click all frames and then look down a little and click old color. Then hit the color box and select the background color which will be one solid color. Now look down a little and press transparent and ok.
10. Now you will see grey and white squares in the background which means transparent. If it took some of the image out will doing that, pick the paint bucket tool and fill the background of each frame with a completely different colour to any that are in your sprite and follow Step 9.
11. Select the crop button again and click the options button. A menu pops-up. Now click the surround the animated area and press ok. Now press crop, your animation should be perfectly cropped.
12. You are basically done now, Go to View> animation to check out if it looks smooth. If so save it and do whatever you need to do with it.

\\ 5. Contact

if you need to contact me for any reason, email me @ matt_m1@hotmail.com, bloodthirsty@bigpond.com. You can also IM me on msn using matt_m1@hotmail.com or PM me on the forums. If you need to ask me a question make it related to sprite ripping, nothing stupid like it doesnt works because I know it does. Something more specific than that.

montpics

Hmm, maybe I should test one with that guide. Thanks for the tips. :)