3rd Person Action/adventure Games

El Fugitivo

I like 3rd person games because FPS make me too nervous, too jumpy. They work too well on me, so I like to distance myself a bit more from the action. That's why I like, and own, games like:
  • GTA: Vice City
  • Max Payne
  • Max Payne 2
  • Hitman
  • Hitman 2
  • American McGee's Alice
  • Indiana Jones & The Emperor's Tomb
But I'm looking for more. Any recommendations for recent games that fit the bill? I don't really want RPGs or strategy games (no Commandos, etc.). I know that the two latest Jedi Knight games have the option for 3rd person viewpoint, but are they any good? Also, I'm really only looking for something with a good single-player experience (multiplayer doesn't affect me either way).

<><>

Hey now you're telling me my review for JK was not a good seller? =P

I really like the last two jedi Knight games. Lots and lots of fun.

Other than that I can suggest Splinter Cell which also has 3rd person view and is a nice metal gear solid like game( better actually... I'd write a review but you have shaken my belief in.. uh... me) thehehe.

I'm waiting patiently for the latest prince of persia... I think that one is going to be quite fun.

STAY AWAY FROM TRON2.0 the game is FPS only and that was a huge letdown for me and that wonderful discus.

I'm not a big fan of FPS games either.

I hate not being able to see right below/around me. This causes me much frustration when jumping/ going through narrow places. People say that FPS is more a realistic view but I have to disgree. Your eyes have the fastest twityching muscles in your body so you can look around you and loclise yourself in less than a few tenths of a second. Doing so with the mouse is tougher. A nicely done 3rd person view totally fixes that for me. FPV is only good for one tihng: aiming and shooting. If the game has any melee/acrobatics/ sneaking involved it makes it tougher for me.

You can really see the shorcomings of FPV in JKII and JKIII. When in that mode you cant do the acrobatics such as bacflip, roll, wallrun, or use your saber. Since they are moves where you character spins very fast and even stabs behind/to the side of him it would bee too disorienting in FPV and impossible to land the moves.

Look at all that rant...

J

Jet Set Willy

I like the original Tomb Raider. It had some good levels.

Try Prince of Persia. It's not even 3D, but it's great.

Motoko

Prince of Presia was a great game.

You can also try the Broken Sword series, the first two are in 2D, the last (which comes out this month) is in 3D. That's my next game i'm goin to be downloading.

onewecallgod

ahh prince of persia... those were the days...

max payne isnt a FPS? a great game is gothic. 3d, great graphics, game gameplay

El Fugitivo

<><>: I thought the review was on Jedi Academy. I was wondering more about Jedi Outcast, as I don't want to spend too much money. Anyway, the review was good, and I probably will buy Jedi Academy when it's down in the $20 range, just not yet. I wasn't sure what differences there were between the two.

Waz: I have played the first two Tomb Raider games, and I liked them alright. Also, I do really like Prince Of Persia 1 & 2 and other games of that type (Out Of This World, Flashback, Nosferatu, Black Thorne).

Motoko: I wish I had known that before...I had the first two Broken Sword games on my comp a couple months ago, but I decided to delete them to open up some room on my hd. Oh well, I remember the irc channel where i got them.

onewecallgod: I wouldn't call the Max Payne games to be FPS games. They are shooters, but they're not in the first-person viewpoint, and like <><> I like to be able to see a little bit more of what's going on around me. I might check out Gothic.

M.H.A.Q.S.

I played Prince of Persia 1 & 2 on my PC a long time ago.
They were great.

I liked the Tomb Raider Series until I played Chronicles. TR3 was my favorite.

Have you guys played Prince of Persia:Sands of Time. I bought it along with Soul Calibur II few days ago.

I finished the game the night I bought it.

J

Jet Set Willy

That's a shame, PoP games are supposed to be difficult.

Broken Sword is great.

M.H.A.Q.S.

That's a shame, PoP games are supposed to be difficult.

It was. I actually sat with my elder brother and the game proceeded painlessly. Although some of the levels were hard to get.

But the game was sure fun.

J

Jet Set Willy

Originally posted by <><>+Nov 20 2003, 01:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<><> @ Nov 20 2003, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Waz@Nov 20 2003, 01:27 PM

Broken Sword is great.
You know, that series the discworld series and the 3 skulls of the toltec are the few adventure games I missed playing... I need to get my hands on them and try them out. [/b][/quote]
You can get Discworld 1 and 2 from The Underdogs, but I think the speech is ripped from 2. :(

El Fugitivo

Okay, thanks.

<><>: there's a certain channel on efnet that has old warez. I think they might have what you're looking for. Well, I know they have the Borken Sword games, and they might have the others.

Motoko

Of course you got the Monkey Island series, Full Throttle, The Feeble Files, Sam and Max, Simon the Sorcerer series. All great.

Motoko

Originally posted by Motoko@Nov 20 2003, 09:36 PM
Of course you got the Monkey Island series, Full Throttle, The Feeble Files, Sam and Max, Simon the Sorcerer series. All great.
Heh, I've just found out about that site when I wrote my post.

Anybody played Feeble Files? I wish I still had the game but i leant it to my friend and he lost it :(

Oh memories of buying PC games in boxes.

El Fugitivo

Oh yeah, you Brits have your computer games in DVD/Next-Gen console keepcases, don't you? I don't know if I'd like that or not.