Is it coding, or PC hardware?

DarkSable

Okay, so, I've been thinking a little...

The reason there's not yet been a successful PS3 emulator (any by successful I mean able to run commercial games at playable framerates) mostly stems from the fact that the PS3 has a weird CPU setup, right?

It's understandable that even a modern processor, or the future Ivy Bridge Express chips (due to the fact that even 15 logical cores aren't powerful enough), won't be able to emulate an 8-core Power PC chip.

But how 'bout graphics cards? I understand that they're significantly slower, but the upcoming Nvidia Titan got me thinking... what could a workstation card like the Titan, or a Quadro 6000 or FirePro W9000 be able to do?

Would there be any way to use extreme multi-threading to simulate the 8-core PS3 CPU? Even if the emulator produced only worked on extremely high-end computers, well... it'd be a start, right?

testmachine

Old member
It's mainly hardware that's hard to emulate.The cell processor is hard ,almost impossible to emulate.PS3 emu coders would need around 3 years just to emulater the CPU.And from that it would be easier.
And yes,it would be a start.

Last edited: