PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do Yo Reinstall Windows

HybridShadow
December 26th, 2004, 21:02
How often do you reinstall Windows, I Know some people do it alot let me know how often you do!

Jale
December 26th, 2004, 21:14
Once every 3 months. I used to do it every week :laugh:

HybridShadow
December 26th, 2004, 21:27
A few days ago i was having major trouble with my new video card and i had to reinstall windows 4 times before it would work.

The first problem i got was that when logging into windows half the startup gear wouldnt start even the services (in the end it didnt even log in) [But i worked when i took it out and used the default onboard 8mb one 'shivers' -- That was fixed because i forgot the set the AGP 'Aputure' (Spelling?) According to the new card needs

The second problem is that it wouldnt work when the drivers where installed and i found out that i wasnt plugged in all the way (Really it shouldnt have worked at all)

The third problem was that windows wanted a setting change in the system properties

and i reinstalled for the 4th time because i wanted a nice smooth install

For all four fixes i have to thank 7/8 pages out of Googles 8 Billion Page Index

HybridShadow
December 26th, 2004, 21:28
Also JAPPsmash im surprised your not a moderator since youve been helping out a hell of alot on these forums - not that the other mods havent been

Jale
December 26th, 2004, 21:33
Also JAPPsmash im surprised your not a moderator since youve been helping out a hell of alot on these forums - not that the other mods havent been
I'm still a newbie even if I did a bunch of posts (I joined here last month). Experience makes all. I think that a moderator task is to keep the forum as clean as possible (deleting rom links, etc...) in conjunction with the administrator.

HybridShadow
December 26th, 2004, 21:37
They havent been getting rid of the swearing, and instructions telling people where to get roms
(not that any of that offends me)

SladeXR
December 26th, 2004, 23:06
I'm fucking lazy and I have Ghost image of my entire C: partition (windows & other important software, no games), made when in good condition so all I do when things fuck up is to unpack and run the microsoft crap again.

montpics
December 27th, 2004, 11:05
Once a year if possible. I didn't use my PC to surf online but surely have something faulty on registry and so on which won't let myself use the very same softwares. :cool:

JAPPsmash, don't talk too much in a day or I will put you to sleep forever. :D :p

matt5108, generally persons who could reply actively is the persons who have more free times than others and I. So, that's just natural in every forum/community. :)

Robert
December 27th, 2004, 13:59
I only re-install windows when it becomes necessary, which generally happens
to be about once a year. (That is for my win95 machine). Howeever my win2000
machines I would expect to just keep working forever, until the final catastrophic
hardware error occurs.

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL
December 27th, 2004, 23:31
i reinstall my windows whenever it becomes impossible to system restore. guys, take advantage of it! :) also i use a lot of spyware thingys. my computer doesnt get infected alot. :) i think an avarage of once every 1.5 years

iLLisioN
December 28th, 2004, 14:08
I have a 20gig ghost partition. This is the easiest and fastest way of making windows "fresh" again. Formatting has its downfalls such as reinstalling and trying to find certain drivers. Go for ghost, lol.

HybridShadow
December 28th, 2004, 14:48
I used to ghost mine but it got annoying whenever a new version came out (nero bring out one each month just about) and then if i changed software i would have to remake a image disk and a clean fresh install is always the best

iLLisioN
December 28th, 2004, 16:35
Well, if new updates came along just make another disk image. Its still faster than re-installing windows.

GHDpro
December 28th, 2004, 22:09
These days I try to reinstall as little as possible, but once a year is common, just to get
rid of all the junk that has piled up. Last time was for a different reason - SP2 install fucked up.

nesman
December 28th, 2004, 22:33
Spyware/adware doesn't plague me as it used to. Last time I reformatted was back in May 2004. So far no problems. Damn Windows, I had to reformat 4 times during March because of spyware/adware related problems. Now I use a Firewall to block the damn stuff and Mozilla Firefox to surf the web.

belmont
December 28th, 2004, 22:57
When I used Windows Me I used to format and reinstalled them once a month :p
Now with win XP i don't have any problems,I format the disk once per year.

Jale
December 28th, 2004, 23:38
Now I use a Firewall to block the damn stuff and Mozilla Firefox to surf the web.
Since I chose to surf with Firefox, that spyware thingy is a thing of the past :happy:

SP2 install fucked up.
You reminded me that nightmare, oh Microsoft, making things worse :confused:

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL
December 29th, 2004, 23:13
i hate reinstalling my system, i have to do lots of things like installing drivers and lots of others... any one knows something better than reinstalling? :(

Lefteris_D
December 29th, 2004, 23:41
Just install windows, your programs and your drivers and make a backup. Every time you need a "fresh" installation all you have to do is restore the backup.

montpics
December 30th, 2004, 12:09
Use any backup softwares. Couldn't recommend which software is better since I never try it before.

iLLisioN
December 30th, 2004, 14:01
Try norton ghost. Its has a fairly easy interface that makes it easy to use. I also heard partition magic has an option to do the same thing. Check them out.

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL
December 30th, 2004, 19:23
thanks for the help guys. im gonna try them all but not now,,, i think ill make back up cuz its still fresh. the last time when i reinstalled my system was when i installed sp2 in xp. it killed my computeeeeerrrrr! :( i dont know what's with sp2 but it killed my computeeeeerrrr! :(

iLLisioN
December 30th, 2004, 20:55
The latest bug with sp2 is that if you have any shared files on your pc, everyone on the web would be able to see it. If you ask me, this sp2 shouldn't of even been released.

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL
December 31st, 2004, 19:14
damn right! it killed my computer! :mad:

Jale
December 31st, 2004, 19:15
Gee, now running Windows 98 SE :p I feel good.

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL
December 31st, 2004, 19:21
im contented with my windows xp.. its running well cuz i havent installed the sp2 :D heeheehee :)

Badger
December 31st, 2004, 20:08
About once a year just to make a fresh start.

HybridShadow
December 31st, 2004, 20:56
im contented with my windows xp.. its running well cuz i havent installed the sp2 :D heeheehee :)
Lots of people - including the schools system administrator - Said that people that think that sp2 stuffs things up he said people just dont prepare there updates so nothing goes wrong
I had one problem and that was my Printer Scanner All In One which wouldnt work properly and canon alreadt had a patch made before sp2 ready for it - So all you need to do is be a bit more careful
If you dont like how its done Make a Sp yourself or make your own OS

Jale
January 1st, 2005, 03:07
Gee, now running Windows 98 SE :p I feel good.
What the heck???!!! Now running Windows 2000.

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL
January 2nd, 2005, 01:04
i can join microsoft in thier quest of making some new os.... heeheehhee :)

Jale
January 2nd, 2005, 05:42
Personal re-installation record :p

Now running Windows XP sp1 :innocent:

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL
January 2nd, 2005, 08:20
forced reinstallation... now im running sp 1 too! :)

onewecallgod
January 2nd, 2005, 10:06
Personal re-installation record :p

Now running Windows XP sp1 :innocent:
man, you download OSes quickly!

Jale
January 2nd, 2005, 15:56
What? I have all of them!
Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP Home/Pro :happy:

WellWellWell
January 2nd, 2005, 20:23
Mommy must have some cash.

Jale
January 2nd, 2005, 20:34
(sigh) I earn money by myself :dry:

SladeXR
January 2nd, 2005, 21:01
You actually pay for this crap?
I've never bought for any of them Windowses, even though I have them all.
It's my principle not to pay for any monopolistic piece of crap.
I buy only the software that deserves to be bought. Sounds fair eh?

Jale
January 2nd, 2005, 22:15
Hey, hold your horses. Did you think that I "legally" bought that bunch of crap??? :confused:

The only Legal Copy I have is Windows 95. The rest are pirated shit :innocent:

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL
January 2nd, 2005, 23:53
Hey, hold your horses. Did you think that I "legally" bought that bunch of crap??? :confused:

The only Legal Copy I have is Windows 95. The rest are pirated shit :innocent:

good one! i have alot, even games! :) heehehehehehe :) all crap