Nintendo Logo Screen Query

Bananamonkey

Hello!

Okay, this may sound like a bizarre query, but I'm wondering how to get the Nintendo logo screen at startup of emulation. I'm using Visualboyadvance. Normally the emulator skips the Nintendo logo screen, but I'm wondering how to make it not do that. I swear I read how to do this on the emulator but after fumbling around the menus I can't find it. Thanks for reading, and if there's any more information that I can provide, let me know.

Bananamonkey

A run through BIOS option? I have no idea what that means, or how to go about using this.

PS I'm looking to get the Nintendo logo screen for the original Game Boy as well as anything that proceeded it.

Last edited:

Bananamonkey

Okay, I figured out how to get the Game Boy Advance Nintendo logo screen to play at startup of emulation, but not for the Game Boy and Game Boy Color. I used a GBA BIOS file (thanks to Mupen64 Man's advice) to get the GBA logo to work. But I also downloaded a GBC and Super Game Boy BIOS file but that didn't fix the problem. Even if the Super Game Boy BIOS file will not work on the Game Boy ROMs, that still doesn't explain why the GBC BIOS file isn't working. Any ideas about how to get the GB/GBC logo screens to occur?

PS Thanks.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
My guess is you need the normal GB and GB color bios files. Though remember these files are copyrighted material and we can help you find it.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
You would think that the Gameboy Advance bios would display both start up logos, since all of the gameboy games were playable on the hardware.

Bananamonkey

Hi guys and thanks for your responses, but I've already tried using the GBA BIOS file when opening a GB or GBC game, which is why I spent hours or research trying to figure out another way. I found GBC and Super Game Boy BIOS files but they didn't work on there respective games either, perhaps they weren't good rips? I tried muliple websites for the file but I think they were only the same file hosted by various websites, so that's not much help. I think there's only one version floating around the web. I'm guessing most people who are on this site use visualboyadvance if they want to play GBA games, so you can give it a go if you want to see if it works for you. Here's how I did it: Options --> Emulator --> Select BIOS file. So select the BIOS file and then go Options --> Emulator --> Use BIOS file. Then load the ROM. You probably all know this but I just thought I'll say what I did incase these steps need correcting. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
You could try using specific emulators, like ones that only emulate Gameboy and Gameboy Color.

I am going to test out a few emulators, I will post again if I find anything. :)

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Success! :) It only took a little bit of effort on my part. Here is some proof for the skeptics:
proofgbx.png

proofgbc.png

As you can see for the screenshots, I am using BGB, a great GB/GBC emulator. You can get it right here.

Alright, so here is how you set it up:

1. acquire the Gameboy Bootrom, the file extension should be *.gb. Extract to the emulators root folder for ease of setup
2. acquire the GBC BIOS, the file extension should be *.bin. Extract to the emulators root folder for ease of setup

Launch BGB and right-click in the empty box ->Options->System tab

1. check off the box that says,"bootroms enabled"
2. inside the "DMG bootrom" box, type in the name of the gameboy bootrom. If need be, rename the file so that its easier to type in, IE: "GBbootrom.gb"
3. inside the "GBC bootrom" box, type in the name of the GBC BIOS. If need be, rename the file so that its easier to type, IE: "GBCbios.bin"
4. After all of that, just click "OK" then right-click inside the window -> Load rom..., it should work from there. :)

Bananamonkey

My God, thank you so much Mupen64 Man! It worked! I spent hours trying to get this to work! What's annoying though is when I was looking for the BIOS files when I first started this, I found that boot ROM you mentioned but I thought, "this doesn't look like the BIOS file I'm looking for, plus the file extension is .gb instead of .bin, must be a dodgy," and I ignored it. Could have saved some time there! Shame we couldn't get it to work on visualboyadvance, but at least there's now a solution! Anyway, for the few ROMs I tested it on, it worked for both GB and GBC, so thanks again buddy!

Last edited:

sstern333

Man, that's awesome. This thread actually made me realize that I never noticed the absence of that logo at the start. Great work to Mupen64 too

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
My God, thank you so much Mupen64 Man! It worked! I spent hours trying to get this to work! What's annoying though is when I was looking for the BIOS files when I first started this, I found that boot ROM you mentioned but I thought, "this doesn't look like the BIOS file I'm looking for, plus the file extension is .gb instead of .bin, must be a dodgy," and I ignored it. Could have saved some time there! Shame we couldn't get it to work on visualboyadvance, but at least there's now a solution! Anyway, for the few ROMs I tested it on, it worked for both GB and GBC, so thanks again buddy!

Im glad I was able to help! I was kinda confused too when I saw the boot ROM for the gb, usually they are all in .bin instead of a common rom extension! XD To be honest, I wouldn't use VBA for all the gb/gbc games, it seems to have choppy sound, and sometimes have weird pixelations for no reason! :p I only use it for GBA, after all, it is Visualboy Advance. ;) Fun fact, the reason why on the emulator it was called a "DMG bootrom" was because the first gameboy's model was called DMG-01.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Man, that's awesome. This thread actually made me realize that I never noticed the absence of that logo at the start. Great work to Mupen64 too
Thanks. :) I have forgotten about the starter screen too, but when I was playing the emulator pSX 1.1.13, I realized how much ive missed them, makes for a more authentic experience.

Bananamonkey

I agree, as soon as I heard the 'ta-ding!' I was like, "memories!" Plus, I plan on recording the sound to use as a ringtone. I'm so full of ideas.