Who hates anime and why?

Koden

Just was wondering why some people don't like anime.

Personaly for the most part I realy enjoy anime, especialy the fan dubed ones.

I'm courious so i figured it was worth finding out how people on the other side of the fence think. Try to not be general and say "because its gay" or something stupid and unhelpful like that.

And I admit, i've seen my fair share of stupid anime, some funny stupid, some "why the heck did i download this?" stupid.

Danny

I've never seen any anime, just crazed anime fans who seem to have an obsession with japan and anything related to it. I'm sure not every anime fan is like that, but I think it would be fair to say a lot are.

J

Jet Set Willy

I like a lot of anime, but I really hate most anime fans, because I hate stereotypes. Go to any anime forum and you will see the majority of people are pseudo-deep saps with little girl avatars, saying words like "kaiwaii" all the time and acting is if anything from Japan is automatically better, just because it's from Japan. I also dislike anime which has no real susbstance, and just tries to better other anime by having more tentacle rape/tiny-waisted girls with big eyes etc.

Jale

I like anime, but I'm not fan of any. I like action and fighting anime like Dragon Ball or NightStalkers, but Pokémon, Digimon, Medabots...? bullshit! :tomato:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Neco said:
You can thank Dragonball Z for ruining anime for the U.S
I'm going to be a bit more "general" than that.

You can thank the commercial & rather silly/childish anime for giving a bad reputation to the whole category.

Each person that watched one after asking me changed his mind. I believe the reaction usually was something like "Hey! I didn't know those things could get that serious" or something like that.

The thing is that all anime are good. It just depends on the likings of each person.

SladeXR

The first anime I saw many years ago was Akira. I was totally hooked at that time but after that I watched so many crappy childish anime series (the only thing available on TV) that I got totally disappointed and almost gave it up. However when I got faster internet I was able to see some real masterpieces.

TiredBoy

Lefteris_D said:
Don't you mean the fan subbed ones?
They actually had a fandub for Kogepan episode 1.

Like a lot of people mentioned, I think the big turn-off comes when they see either A. excessively childish animation being heralded as "anime" or B. a bunch of otakus (used in the Japanese sense - fanatics) running around with body pillows of characters.

Personally, I've been exposed to quite a bit and tend to enjoy it, regardless of whether it's mindless or serious. I'm probably too open-minded for my own good.

Koden

Lefteris_D said:
Don't you mean the fan subbed ones?
Ya know, thats what happens when i type something at 3-4 in the morning *grins* yeah ment subbed

on that typoed note, i've always wanted to fan dub for the heck of it. Thought it would be especialy funny to rescript an episode of anime to make it funny.

Last edited:

WellWellWell

This has already been said, but...

I've been known to watch a little anime in my time and I've actually enjoyed some of it. I just can't stand the ones with excessive nudity/sexuality in them. I really hate the ones that are like, "I know you're just an average seventeen year old girl with double D breasts and a nineteen inch waist, but you're really the only one that can save the world. Here, just wear this skin-tight suit while you're doing it, please. Oh yeah! By the way, you have to get get in the shower now. That way I can sneak in and rape you real quick, and you can spend the rest of the show in mental anguish over your violated virgin body with the weight of saving the world on your shoulders, just so you can get blasted by some sort of god-like lazer that just so happens to blow your top off, exposing your large jugs. Don't worry. You can handle it. Thanks a bundle!"

Did I explain that well?

MONKEY_NUTS

Lefteris_D said:
I believe the reaction usually was something like "Hey! I didn't know those things could get that serious"

The problem with the seriousness of anime is, they exaggerate it to the point that it looks to silly to be believeable. Oh and if this forum wasn't restarted so much, you could of looked at EZ's history and see why theres no otakus left here.

Zach

I prefer relevant nudity more than gratuitous. Gall Force would be a good example. Throughout the series the only real scenes were either relevant to the story, or to the personal day to day activities of a character, such as a brief shower scene, and always animated only above the waist.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
MONKEY_NUTS said:
Oh and if this forum wasn't restarted so much, you could of looked at EZ's history and see why theres no otakus left here.
The majority of those otakus went to another forum that spawned from this one. All members present at that time know that.

Keep in mind that this is still an open forum and the ammount present here may increase again at any time.

Last edited:

MONKEY_NUTS

Lefteris_D said:
The majority of those otakus went to another forum that spawned from this one. All members present at that time know that.

Keep in mind that this is still an open forum and the ammount present here may increase again at any time.

At the speed emulators are being made, I doubt this place will ever have the same amount of people it had before. Though maybe it might change when the next gen emulators (ps2,xbox,gc) start to work better then maybe. This place might get an influx of emu noobs.

TiredBoy

MONKEY_NUTS said:
The problem with the seriousness of anime is, they exaggerate it to the point that it looks to silly to be believeable.
I"d beg to differ on that. There really isn't too much difference between a lot of the seriousness in books and seriousness in animation. Suspence of reality, I think it's called in literature.

belmont

I like sci-fi and mech anime very much.
I really don't like anime like Pokemon that made everyone think that anime are just for children.