Now running vBulletin

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
As you may have noticed, the forum software has changed! We're now back
using vBulletin. EZ had used this forum software in a distant past as well, but
as I didn't pay for a "owned" license, we had to stop using it after a while.

In the meanwhile several other software were used: Woltlab Burning Board
and most recently Invision Power Board. However this last forum software also
went "pay only" recently.

Now you can argue that vBulletin is a bloated ultra-expensive piece of crap,
but I like it personally (well, apart from the price tag). Of course this time I also
did not make the same mistake as in the past, so even if my access to
download updates expires, the license to use it won't, so we can use it FOREVER.
(in theory)

Now this conversion was the result of hours and hours of labor, but it isn't
finished yet, more things may change. The skin is already pretty "EZ-like"
though - what do you think about it? It may need a couple more tweaks,
but already looks nice.

Anyway... enough from me...

Jale

Great! changes are going from good to better!
thumb.gif

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
This would have happened three months ago but we chose to delay it for some time.

If you or anyone else have questions about how to use some of the features feel free to ask.

J

Jet Set Willy

The skin definitely needs sorting out a little. Blue on yellow/brown doesn't work.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Invision board used to accept any avatar no matter what size the picture had and simply resized it at the moment of display.

vBulletin however only checks once when you upload the avatar.

When all the users were imported all the avatars got their original sizes and that may cause some problems.

I already removed some avatars that had 4 times the size of the normal ones(Motoko, Zidane).

Please report any users that have such avatar problems in this thread so we can remove them.

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Neco said:
As long as we eventually get a theme with the old blue/white colors I'll be happy
Given the fact that the default buttons are already blue I think I'll have a blue theme probably next week :)

Btw, I increased the server load limit to 7. That should take care of some of the "Server Too Busy" messages.

Last edited:

Zach

Better up the load limit again methinks, cause its still dog slow over here

What the hell is eating the CPU ?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Neco said:
One of GHDpro's little toys called "Spider Scan". It runs once every hour between the 40th and 50th minute causing the server load to go high.

I've just set the limit to 9. If it happens again just be patient, it lasts only for 10-15 minutes.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Neco said:
Better up the load limit again methinks, cause its still dog slow over here

Increasing the load limit won't speed things up one single bit.
It will just mean you'll see less "Server Busy" messages, but that
doesn't mean the server isn't busy at lower limits!

As what's eating the CPU... EZ isn't the only site on this server. Futhermore,
the change to vB might cause some other problems -- certainly if vB uses more
CPU than IPB does.

Still... the load spikes should be temporary. While it might be slow at certain
times of the hour, it should be pretty speedy at all other times.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
GHDpro said:
As what's eating the CPU... EZ isn't the only site on this server. Futhermore,
the change to vB might cause some other problems -- certainly if vB uses more
CPU than IPB does.
IPB was using double CPU power than it should. You can thank the code modifications I made for that... VB however is alot more optimized and I also disabled things like similar threads and reputation to ease the server load :)

This is a good time to swich to MySQL 4.0.22, don't you think? It uses less resources than the current version.

SladeXR

This new board is working slower for me. I got used to the previous one. I prefer phpBB - it's easy to use and load.

Jale

I am the administrator of a phpbb forum and it's just good, but it's not much configurable. The vBulletin board is slower the first times (I guess) so we have to wait a bit more until it's completely done.

Expect a lot of "Server too busy" messages today.

TiredBoy

Lefteris_D said:
Given the fact that the default buttons are already blue I think I'll have a blue theme probably next week :)
Oh yeah! I still remember the old white/blue scheme back in the days of...vB 1.something? That was still the best, IMO. It's honestly seemed like so long ago since E-Z last used vB.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said the "Server Too Busy" messages only appear fr 10-15 minutes every hour when the server is at it's busiest. I bet you can stand for 15 minutes without posting.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
TiredBoy said:
Oh yeah! I still remember the old white/blue scheme back in the days of...vB 1.something? That was still the best, IMO. It's honestly seemed like so long ago since E-Z last used vB.
There is a drop down box at the bottom left corner of the screen. Try selecting the "Default Style" for something more blue-ish.

Last edited: