So bsnes now blows ZSNES out of the water

Silly similar acronyms aside - as a longtime lurker of the site, I registered today to ask what I feel is an important question:

Now that bsnes literally emulates every single game that was ever commercially available for the Super Nintendo with its recent update - thereby completely blowing ZSNES out of the water - are you going to update the descriptions on the download pages? Byuu seriously deserves a lot of credit (along with the others who put so much time into developing the software) for creating what is probably the most accurate emulator for any console ever, and by far more accurate than any of the other Super Nintendo emulators. While the download page for bsnes does link to the latest version, the image shows a decrepit version of the software and the description leaves a potential adopter completely clueless as to what it offers over other downloads. Considering the ZSNES page gloriously sings its praises, I feel there's a need for a bit of an update.

The lovely message above informs me that I cannot post links without being flagged as a potential spambot, but I trust you all can Google 'Byuu' and 'bsnes' to verify what I've said here. Do note that you need a few extra rom files for certain games (the only generally known one being Super Mario Kart) to allow for proper emulation. I would link to those as well for simplicity's sake, but alas. I cannot.

Also, I would like to stress that I don't have a vendetta against ZSNES or anything; I've been using it for years, but Byuu's emulator has completely blown me away and has set a huge milestone in video game emulation in general. Please consider my request. Thanks. :happy:

P.S.: It is also probably worth noting on the page that the 32-bit version of bsnes is designed as a more system-compatible version of the emulator, which takes a few light shortcuts so that most PCs can run the games at 60 fps, while the 64-bit version is meant for 100% perfectly accurate emulation, regardless of how much processing power it takes. bsnes does take quite a lot to run, unfortunately, so it's no program for those with older PCs, but it's completely worth it otherwise. You can download both, but the 32-bit one is the most important. This is all stuff that should be explained on the program's respective download page.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
It has been a long time coming, but I knew that the BSNES team would make it someday! I agree that we should update the description, if not all of them. Would you like me to move this thread to site suggestions? Maybe you should make a request to make the new description for bsnes.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
in the end BNES will top all as it has the main goal of "perfect" emulation. Non of this HLE, hackery stuff. Its just pure emulate from ground up.

There is no "in the end," ulaoulao. It has already happened. :)

I will make an appropriate suggestions post, Mupen.

edit: it can be found in the Suggestions forum or at thread id 19270.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
The only thing that has happened is progress. It's still well under development. Like all great emulators it will find an "end". It's not there yet. I'm sure there are some games that still work better under other snes emulators. There are way too many games to test to say for certain.

While I agree with your sentiments and believe the emulator will still improve, this was taken directly from the page's website:

lftwa.png

That's a pretty hefty claim to make if one was uncertain of its truth. Of course, "known bugs" means something still could pop up, but they've done a good job of squashing them over the years.

I'm trying not to make this seem like pure fanboyism on my part. Were I skeptical of it, I would definitely express a different opinion here.

Last edited:
Cool. It would be nice to see something take PJ 1.7's "best 64 emulator" throne. Emulation for that system still has a long way to go. All one has to do is boot up Smash Bros. after playing it on the console to see that.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Yeah, I wanna see super programmers Azimer and Hacktarux breathe some life back into the n64 emulation scene. its gonna take quite a few years before we get good accuracy going for the Nintendo64, mostly because of how much CPU one would need to reverse engineer the system. Despite all that, Its definitely an emulator to watch out for. I can't wait for BSNES to perfect their NES and Gameboy emulation, to have an emulator that can emulate all three accurately would be a great milestone to reach for just one emulator.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
It would be nice to see something take PJ 1.7's "best 64 emulator" throne
Oh how I agree there. That stupid 1.7 beta crap is beyond annoying. Zero competition means delayed beta. Delayed beta means more donations. I have also found the 1.7 leaks and its not all its cracked up to be.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
The only thing that I even like about 1.7 is the updated Jabos DirectX Plugin that supports Hi res texture packs, its a shame it only works for the Pj64 1.7 emulator.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
It would be nice to see some life back to the N64 scene, and a good reason to keep my N64 in it's box, safe from harm!

I think with today's processing power it should be quite possible to get an accurate N64 emulator, we have progressed quite a bit since UltraHLE first came out.