Playable Roms

j-nice

Hello! I'll just start by saying I've downloaded a MAME32 and stored a Arcade Rom in the same folder, but I can't get the Rom to play for nothing. Am I missing a step or something? I own PS2,SNES,XBOX and others, but of course I want to be able to play the real arcade games to. Can someone please help me out. WALK ME THRU IT if you have to, but I'm in desperate need. Thanks so much

Jason!

Jale

You must store the rom in the ROM folder, not in the emulator folder.

For example: If the game is Killer Instinct:

C:\Mame32\roms\kinst\(rom files).

j-nice

I'm not trying to be difficult, but does it matter if the rom is in the same folder as the MAME32? And if I do it in different folders how do I get the MAME32 to play the Rom?

Jale

Originally posted by j-nice@Dec 16 2004, 10:20 PM
I'm not trying to be difficult, but does it matter if the rom is in the same folder as the MAME32? And if I do it in different folders how do I get the MAME32 to play the Rom?
It DOES matter. You must put your roms in the ROMS directory to work and each rom must be stored in folders. Unless you change the directory in the OPTIONS --> DIRECTORY

j-nice

Alright, at this point I have downloaded MAME32.089! I have moved a rom into the FOLDER that MAME icon provided. Then I made a shortcut to the desktop so that I could see MAME EXECUTABLE file there. Now I double clicked onto the MAME ICON and it open. But I still can't get the MAME to play the rom that I just stored in its folder! What I'm I doing wrong? I feel like I tried everything even though I probably haven't. Please bare with me and give me your advice!

Thanks again

JASON

hanzmoleman007

Well, if the rom is in the provided mame32 rom file, then the rom path is set correctly so that's fine.
Next click on "file", then "audit all games". This will check your rom file to see what working roms you have.
If the rom is working, then it should show up with a light next to it's name in menu.
The problem my be your rom is missing some files, or it's a neo geo game and that's a whole different story!
What game are you trying to play?
Don't worry, well get you playing! :D

montpics

The only problem to do that is it will take a pretty long time to scan too much roms in a folder........ B)

j-nice

Yea! It worked! I figured out what I was doing wrong. Thanks JAPPsmash and Hanzmoleman007! It looks like that after all this time I was missing the FRONTEND which has the GUI. With this as you all know, I can execute the rom to start playing after guiding it to the right BROWSER to find the file. And yo, of course I downloaded more then one rom! After the first one finally worked I had so many old games that I wanted to play come in my mind. Hey, thanks for helping out. Keep me posted on some new idea's if anybody has any.

Peace
J-NICE

Jale

j-nice said:
Yea! It worked! I figured out what I was doing wrong. Thanks JAPPsmash and Hanzmoleman007! It looks like that after all this time I was missing the FRONTEND which has the GUI. With this as you all know, I can execute the rom to start playing after guiding it to the right BROWSER to find the file. And yo, of course I downloaded more then one rom! After the first one finally worked I had so many old games that I wanted to play come in my mind. Hey, thanks for helping out. Keep me posted on some new idea's if anybody has any.

Peace
J-NICE
No problem. You can always count with all of us :)

j-nice

Oh NO! I ran into another problem. I'm trying to play KILLER INSTINCT! i'VE already read most forums on the challenges of getting this to work. But it looks like I made a new one.
I was told to download a BIT TORRENT FILE to my desktop at PLAYIT AGAIN.NET. So I downloaded the one the was for Windows! I didn't get the one you had to pay for. But now I looking for a CHD FILE of killer Instinct. I CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE. Its not in MAMEWORLD.NET! If it is I'm not seeing it. I've typed it the search engine of msn.com as well, but no one has a straight file download for the CHD.FILE OF KINST IT SELF. What can do?? I've already put the BitTorrent in my Rom folder. Can someone please help me again??

Jason

Jale

Unfortunately we cannot help you with this because requests like that are not allowed here. The CHD file is the heart of the kinst rom. You have to find it by yourself. Search with google and you will find it somewhere. I'm almost sure. ;)

j-nice

JAPPsmash said:
Unfortunately we cannot help you with this because requests like that are not allowed here. The CHD file is the heart of the kinst rom. You have to find it by yourself. Search with google and you will find it somewhere. I'm almost sure. ;)
AAAHH MAN!! Dawm! I did that and I couldn't find it. I'll keep looking thou. Why is this CHD stuff such a big secret? Can someone tell me that? But anyway, hey thanks for replying so quickly I really appriecate that.

I'll keep in touch with you guys!

Last edited:

Jale

kinst.chd is the missing file you are looking for. I bet your zip file where kinst came is about 4 MB right?

I say that kinst.chd is the heart of the rom because its size is 91.1 MB.

Use Google and try different keywords. You should hit at least 1 website among the 8,058,044,651 out there...

Last edited:

hanzmoleman007

j-nice said:

Peace
J-NICE
Always, no problem and glad to help.
P.S. Check your pm's.