Game Problem: Why is the Majora's Mask ROM so janky? On Project64.

ihaveaface

I've tried out 2 or 3 allegedly different ROMs for the game from various sites, but they ALL seem to be the same file. Most of my games run at 60 fps, but this one runs at 47 to 50 with very severe slowdown every once in a while. There's also a very nasty save game bug where the game just decides to delete the saved games when you close the emulator. A while back I thought the save game bug would only strike if you closed the emulator without saving. So to be sure, I saved at an owl statue, went to the game select screen, and copied it to slot 2. I then went to "stop emulation" before closing the emulator. But just my luck, when I started the game back up, file 2 was totally erased, and file 1 was back at 3 hearts, 0 time, etc. Just like it is right after you name the file.

What happened? Is there a more stable ROM of this game? I don't think I can play it while it's being this unpredictable.

testmachine

Old member
(Could you please post your pc specifications).
I have a old PC that has a pentium 3 processor and the game works perfect.
If your savegames are erasing try using quicksaves,or reinstall the emulator.
it is not a rom problem

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Roms wont change things like FPS or bugs. There are things called bad rips but they usually dont play.

ihaveaface

My PC specs are Windows Vista 32 bit home basic, 2 gigs of ram, 2.8 ghz single core processor (AMD Athlon LE-1660), Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. My PC is a good 2 or 3 years old, nothing fancy or new. The only game that causes issues seems to be this game. Also, how do I use save states?

ihaveaface

I figured out save states. Will that bypass the save issue? I would click save under options, then play a bit and then hit restore as a test. It seems to work like I assumed. Will I need several save state slots? Or can I just keep doing what I was doing and not worry?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
You can keep doing what you are doing without worry, just make sure you make a saved state each time you exit the emulator.

ihaveaface

Ok, the issue isn't resolved. When I opened the game back up just now using restore, it actually started up a random save I had a while back. As if a save state was already there. The only "game file" in the actual game is that fresh new file. It was essentially the file I lost to the save delete bug, but I never used save states on it. How did that happen? Are my saves being stored somewhere? I looked in the project64 folder and all that was in there was a project64 shortcut and an uninstall exe. I also checked the appdata folder in my user folder and looked in the virtual store folder but no folder was in there as well. It makes no sense because on my recent save earlier today, I save stated, closed the emulator, opened it back up, and restored and it was the right file. Then just now it just pulls up a hella old file I had instead.

I need help. I would like to know how to get to my saves so I can delete old ones and just have my new one I was set on playing.

ihaveaface

Ok, so I located where the main project64 file is with the save folder and stuff. the only thing in there was a majora's mask .rar and a majora's mask .fla file. I delete both. I just cleared out the save folder. But when I did, and restored the game to see if it would load... it loaded the same old save again. I noticed too that when I choose a rom directory, majora's mask is still listed. I don't get what's going on.

Jale

Make sure the save directory of the emulator is in a location where you can write data. As for the 50 fps I assume you're using the PAL version of the ROM.