Cant get Controller to wrok with Emulator

Bansheedragon

I recently downloaded the project 64 emulator as I wanted to play a game I was very fond of on the N64
The game was Zelda The Ocarina Of Time.

I have a Logitec Wireless Gamepad F710, and wanted to use this to play the game.

After some searching on the net I finally found the keybindings and assigned them to the appropriate buttons on the gamepad.
But when I start the game, none of the keys are working.

Simply put, I cant use my gamepad to play the game, its as if I haven't assigned any buttons at all. and could really use some help.

I have missed that game, and would appreciate any help that can lead to me being able to play it again.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
If the buttons wont assign you need a button to key program. The best one is Xpadder. Its not free anymore. If you find one of the older versions it should be a free download. There are others out there but a bit harder to use. Then you just set up pj64 as if you where using the keyboard.

The down fall here is the fact you wont get any analogs. Then best option out there is a n64 2 usb adapters. There are many to choose from but I can understand if you dont want to spend money. Most n64 controllers go for 3 bucks at flee markets and some adapters can be had for $15.

Last edited:

Bansheedragon

I tried the xpadder, but found it so confusing to just configure it that I decided to get me the N64 controller and USB adapter instead.
I now have it plugged in, but cant seem to get it to work.
I got the impression that it has not actually detected the controller at all.

Am I missing something here?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well lets start at the get go.

First go you your game controller in windows.
Microsoft-Windows-7-Game-Controllers1.jpg

You can find this under devices and printer on windows7, xp its just under the control panel.

You should have you adapter in that windows. Double click on it, to test it.

Bansheedragon

OK I got quite a few devices connected here.
But of game controllers I have the following:

Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2, this is my Logitech wireless controller.
USB controller of unknown origin.

When I double click on it I get up the device properties, but to testing abilities.
I had to right click for the device menu and select the testing from there, as its apparently set to properties as default.

But I found the device, and its connected.
I was able to test it no problem.

Last edited:

Bansheedragon

The controller is connected, I can test it and see it works, but I still cant get it to work with the game.
I'm missing something but I'm not sure what.

Edit:
Nevermind, I finally figured it out.
I had it whole thing configured wrong.
I had all functions set for keyboard rather than the gamepad buttons.

Last edited: