Issues Running FF7 on ePSXe

Jon M

Hey guys. New to the forums. I've tried running ff7 on multiple different computers for ages and finally decided it's time to find some help online. From research alone, I see I'm not the only one that has had issues running this game.

I've installed ePSXe on my Toshiba Tecra 9000 (Windows XP OS) and the emulator itself runs fine. When first playing the game the battle swirl, battle box, cursor, and everything else was fine but it was like the game was in slow motion, audio and all. So I proceeded to go through each video plugin. I should mention the screen itself is too small and doesn't fit the laptop screen for each of these but I believe that's a resolution fix right? So that can be fixed later.

Pete's Open GL 1.76 - Start up is just a black screen. You can hear the intro music.

Pete's DX6 D3D 1.77 - No pointing cursor. Just a weird pixel line where it is supposed to be. Also no battle swirl or battle box. Besides those issues it runs smooth.

P.E.Op.S. Soft 1.18 - No battle swirl or battle box. Real laggy. Screen is super small.

Pete's D3D 1.76 - No pointing cursor, again just has the weird pixel line in place of that. No battle swirl or box, and when enemies die and turn red in battle it skips or jumps.

Pete's openGL2 2.9 - Immediately pops up an error box saying NO WGL Extention and crashes everything, shrinks my actual os screen on the desktop, and I have to restart PC.

Pete's TNT 1.24 (I dl this one to attempt to see if it worked) - Black screen on start up. Can hear intro music.

Any help would be really appreciated. My friend actually got this running on my desktop ONCE back in the day and the PC has been reformatted since and I could never get it working again. I have read that this actually works a bit better on older devices and OS, so that's one reason I'm doing the laptop, other reason being I'd like to have it on my portable device.

Last edited:

Jon M

So I've been messing with it a bit more but finally gave up. Not sure if this helps at all but I found that it works perfect on these settings EXCEPT there is no battle box or battle swirl. :dry:

Plugin: Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.1.77
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: S3 Graphics SuperSavage/IXC Toshiba

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - [16 Bit]

Textures:
- R4G4B4A4
- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: off
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer texture: 1
- Framebuffer access: 0
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: none

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000001]

Plugin: P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.1.18
Author: Pete Bernert and the P.E.Op.S. team

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - [16 Bit]
Stretch mode: 0
Dither mode: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Misc:
- Scanlines: disabled
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

Jon M

No one?... Hopefully these threads are still regularly visited?... They seemed to be when I checked recent thread post.

I'm dying to play this game again. :(

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Im sorry, I would give advice or help, but I don't know too much about FF7 and its potential problems, Sorry if it seemed like you were ignored.

Jon M

I appreciate that Mupen64 Man. I'm just dying to get this game running and I really can't understand what my friend did differently that I am not doing to get it working. I no longer have contact with him so it's not like I can ask him.

My thoughts are that MAYBE he used a different video plugin that doesn't come stock with psx that he dled from another source. Unfortunately I have tried to find those and only found two, neither of which work. I'm so close to having it perfect. Everything runs gorgeous except the darn battle box missing and no battle swirl.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
What you could try doing is using an emulator I use. Its called pSX, it works pretty good, even if there arent any graphics enhancing options.

Solis

Hello Jon M,

what are your laptop specs?

I would check out my video driver and make sure it is up to date.

This the lightest software render i know of

E}I{'s GPU Plugin 0.981 found here http://emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/psxplugins-tools.html

but it does not work well with alot of games but it's worth giving it a try. I would stay with peops
soft driver 1.1.18.

BTW: if i remember correctly there was an issue with using some psemu pro plugins that
would cause the emulator to run slow. i think you can fix it by removing the psemu and epsxe
registry with regedit.

Jon M

It's a Toshiba Tecra 9000. So as far as specs... Well?... I can't seem to find that information online. I mean this is it right here: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-tecra-9000-pentium/1707-3121_7-8235952.html but I can't find more detailed information on graphics on board. Does that link help? That's the exact device.

I'll check out that GPU plugin you linked tomorrow since it's very late here, and then I'll get back to you. I'll also check out the PSX Mupen64 Man.

Your final little message there Solis, I'm not computer dummy but I have no idea how to do that. I never was any good at understand registry configurations or modifying them.

Last edited:

Jon M

Hey! We're getting somewhere.

Okay, so that E}I{'s GPU Plugin 0.981 is definitely as close as any plugins have gotten yet. Battle box is fine. Moving around in game, fine. Few problems.

1. The screen is super small with black around it. I thought I knew how to fix this but maybe not? Video>Config (second config on bottom)> and then set screen to like 1000 something by 700 something and to full screen right? Well I have it like that but it's still tiny.

2. In battle, once I select attack, the cursor should go out onto the field onto the target and also on the left of the battle box. Well as you can see on the left it's just a pixel blob where the cursor should be.

I haven't messed with that other emulator yet because it seems we are so close with this one we should try to get this one to work first right? But I guess there is also no harm in trying it real fast while we trouble shoot here so after I get off this PC here and finish writing this I'll go check out the other emulator.

Any ways to fix those few minor issues on the E}I{'s GPU Plugin 0.981 or should we try another one?

Seem to be getting closer! I really appreciate all the help guys.

Jon M

I would hardly call pSX "the best." It's been absolutely nothing but a headache since attempting to try it out. First it gave me this error: This application has failed to start because d3dx9_26.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

So I went on directx and transfered the update file to my laptop to realize you have to be connected to the internet to update. Okay.... Drug the laptop to the back room and hooked it up to my router w/ an ethernet cord and updated directx. Fixed that.

Next error: Failed to find a valid mode (perhaps you need to switch your desktop to 32 bit mode, failed to initialize d2d device. So I downloaded the d2dx9_26.dll file and put it in the folder with the pSX.exe and ran the emulator again. Then it gets a little farther and gives me the same error.

Over that emulator. It's nothing but error after error after error. :/ Guess I'm stuck with continuing to find a way to get ff7 running the ePSXe. We're getting somewhere with that at least.

testmachine

Old member
OK.But i would reccomend you that you start messing with the named pSX emulator.Also note that this emulator needs a decent pc config to run smoothly.
processors that run very good are:Lower-end Pentium 4 and higher-end pentium 4 or pentium 4 with hyper threading technology.
here are some graphics for the emulator to run smooth:Nvidia MX series,Nvidia FX series,nvidia 4Ti agp 8x,all newer ati radeon series graphics,and onboard chips:all intel's gma chipsets work smooth.
As for your other emulator and the software plugin,i'm going to mess with it,then i am going to post the results.

Jale

I have never emulated FF7 since I already own the PC version, but I hope this info will be useful to you. First off, the S3 Graphics is an EXTREMELY crappy GPU, so don't expect nice things about it. Second, if you are using Windows, stick with DirectX plugins such as Pete's DX6 D3D. Activate both frame limit and frame skipping. You don't want your game to run too fast at certain parts. As for the swirl effect, play with the frame buffer settings. Also, use ePSXe 1.5.2. Later versions are known to not work well with some Square games.

Jon M

As far as messing with the other emulator, I think I have enough on my plate with just trying to get FF7 to run alone on the emulator that does work. Less alone making my problem bigger with not being able to run FF7 AND a new emulator that gives constant error messages.

I'm sure the S3 graphics are as bad as you mention, but it's what I have so it's what I have to deal with. I know it's capable of running the game though because I can get it running great minus the few minor errors. Besides that it runs smooth. I don't think I'm expecting too much from it to run a 15+ year old game from the 90s. :dry:

I changed to Pete's DX6 D3D and activated "Use FPS limit" and "Use frame skipping"special game fixes "adjust framebuffer access."

This is actually the first time I've gotten it to fit the screen but as you can see I'm lacking a battle box with these settings...

ff7.jpg

Last edited:

Solis

Hello Jon M,

Sorry i forgot about the earlier post i will try and get you the information.
Also if i'm not mistaken if you enable frame skipping you may get missing
screens so it not really a good idea, unless your computer is slow.

I would also try ARBEX it may be the best PSX emulator out there though
you need a good computer to run it. you can find it here:

http://drhell.web.fc2.com/ps1/

Click on the picture at the bottom of the screen.

Here is how to run it

To play a game.
1. Select File>Open>cdrom via spti or cdrom image
2. Select your file
3. Select Run>Run2 (you can choose Run 1 or Run 3 as well but i use Run 2)

To change a multidisc game.
1). Select Run>Openshell
2). Select File>Open Cdrom or Image then,
3). Select Run>Closeshell

To save a savestate..
1.Select File>Save>Running image
2.Type in a name for your savestate then press ok.

To load a savestate..
1.Select File>Open>Running image
2.Select Your file and press ok.

To change the i-cache rate.
1.Select Run>Simulate>I-Cache Rate
2.Select a value from 0 to 28. (The default is 18)

And here is a small list of game for Arbex.

http://forums.megagames.com/threads/arbex-compatibility-list.51264/

Jon M

Hey Solis. Your first link goes to nothing. However I found the ARBEX program on emuparadise and dled it and followed your instructions to run my FF7 .bin file. Well, it sits at a blue diamond screen for about 5-8 minutes before it louds the game, and now the sony computer entertainment presents screen for the beginning of ff7 has been sitting there for about 10 minutes....

Plus, if you need a good PC to run this then it doesn't help me at all. We're doing this on a Toshiba Tecra 9000. It is older. PentIII 1GHz processor. about 372mb RAM.

On an off note I was running the arbex on my desktop PC which is better than the specs it shows the games were tested on in your second link, and it's taking forever on my desktop PC....

Last edited:

Solis

Hello Jon M,

I Just clicked on the link myself and it is working fine for me. Please try it again.
what version of arbex did you download? The current version 110425.

Solis

Hello Jon M,

E}I{'s GPU Plugin 0.981 to strecth the screen you need

Use 320x240 mode "ON"
Allow X software strecth "ON"
Allow Y software strecth "ON"

As far as the cursor blob on FF7 and the garbage on FMV's we would have to the author of the plugin fix it and i think no one was heard from him in years i think.

To clean the registry

run regedit

delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/epsxe
delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/Vision Thing

You will have to reconfigure epsxe after delete the registry.

Jon M

Hello Jon M,

E}I{'s GPU Plugin 0.981 to strecth the screen you need

Use 320x240 mode "ON"
Allow X software strecth "ON"
Allow Y software strecth "ON"

As far as the cursor blob on FF7 and the garbage on FMV's we would have to the author of the plugin fix it and i think no one was heard from him in years i think.

To clean the registry

run regedit

delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/epsxe
delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/Vision Thing

You will have to reconfigure epsxe after delete the registry.

I'll try those settings in a moment. Why am I cleaning the registry now?...

Jon M

Wow, awesome... I just opened PSX to try these settings and when I closed it and opened my Gens emulator, now my entire saved game on Phantasy Star IV is gone.... Cool... I'm pretty fuming atm.

So with those settings nothing changes. The screen still isn't full size, still glitch with the cursor in battle, and no battle swirl.

Maybe you can shed some light on my Gens saved game randomly erasing when I open another emulator. What the hell is that all about?....

I have Gens emulator and I run Phantasy Star IV on it. Well I save in game every time I quit and I can always pull it up fine when I restart the emulator. Just go to load game from beginning and it's right there. Now after opening PSX and closing it my Phantasy Star IV screen only has a start new game option and appears like my saved game has just vanished...

Last edited: