The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons Multiplayer Query

Bananamonkey

Hello there,

I have a query about The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons. I'm wondering if it's possible to connect the two games using an emulator in order to trade the rings you can collect within the game. Would VisualBoyAdvance or NO$GBA be able to do this? I don't think VisualBoyAdvance supports multiplayer and I don't think NO$GBA v2.6a supports GBC roms, so if I'm right, is there some other kind of emulator that could do this? Or maybe another type of method? Thanks for reading, I eagerly await responses.

thelittlegumnut

i think i might have the answer. look up and get this version of visual boy advance called vba link. then when you get to the point in the game when you want to go multiplayer, just open up a second window of vba link get to the same point just as if you were playing normally. then both people select >> options >> link >> then choose your option. you can do this on the same pc or a LAN. IMPORTANT IT WONT WORK UNLESS YOU DO THE FOLLOWING: if you already made a save file (.sav) or visual boy advance or you just want to link up on vba link you can: just make sure your .gbc or .gb or .gba are in the same folder or directory as the .sav file. then copy the (.sav) so there is two and then rename one of them to (.sa1) and the other to (sa2) for the second window. player one will load the .sa1 file with the .gb or .gbc or .gba file and the other window will load the .sa2 file with the .gb or .gbc or .gba file. then FINALLY you will be able to play multiplayer.

its a bit annoying to do but if it works it is awesome. especially if trading pokemon. USEFUL VIDS BELOW

P.S it will lag quite a lot while linked and its not as good as original vba so when you have done multiplayer rename the sa1 or sa2 back to sav again and continue with you good filters on the normal vba.

Last edited:

Bananamonkey

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I tried what you said as well as what the help section of the VBALink's website said but I couldn't get it to work. Could someone who has experience with this please try it with the Oracle series, where you connect The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages to The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons on the one computer to see if you can connect and trade rings. I think this VBALink is the way to go, and maybe I'm not doing something right (I change the file extension of my saved games to .sa1 and .sa2 but they still couldn't recognise it). Also, I set the Link timeout in milliseconds to '11000'. VBALink's website suggested this but not specifically for these games; maybe this could be the issue and maybe it should be a different figure.

Keep sending suggestions!

thelittlegumnut

hmmm... im going to have a go at this myself and see if i can get it working.

Meanwhile try "TGB Dual" emulator. it should work in a similiar way. no harm in giving it a go i suppose...

thelittlegumnut

try this, it works well with gb and gbc roms. (not gba, only vba link works for gba)

Last edited:

Bananamonkey

TGB Dual worked! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out! The downside is that trading via a link is actually pointless after all that (sorry!). See, prior to trying to link the games I was using the password system in the game in which you can trade rings that way. But what I was hoping was that I could trade from an Oracle of Ages game to a linked Oracle of Ages game, in which I can attain rings from the linked version and vice-versa. I’ll explain what I mean by that in case you’re not entirely familiar with the game. The saved games I have in my Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons games is a regular saved game (in which you complete the game as you normally would) as well as the linked saved game (in which Link (your character) from Ages continues in Seasons, or continues from Seasons in Ages. By doing this you can unlock a lot of cool things. If trading between two Ages games or two Seasons games is impossible, then it is impossible to attain every ring in the game (unless you hack it somehow). What a shame if this is the case, bloody Nintendo!

thelittlegumnut

haha lol :) dw at least you know what to do now (for games like pokemon etc...)

Bananamonkey

Yeah I was really hoping to trade between two of the same Oracle games, hence me bothering with all this, but it was a fail. Thanks again anyway, cheers.