Rom Sprite Editing?

Koden

Anyone know of any programs that allows you to edit a game's sprites?

I remember one NES emulator, probebly NEStickle, that let you do that but it was kind of tedious.

J

Jet Set Willy

Not hard to do at all, but I can't name any particular editors. I'd personally hack away at the ROM to find the addresses of the sprite data, or write a quick program to render the entire ROM to the screen at different offsets until you can see the sprites and work out where they're stored. You could then mess with the data using a hex editor - if you're feeling extra special, you could edit the checksum so that remains valid.

I've decided what I've said wasn't very helpful if you aren't into ROM hacking. Try looking on zophar.net to see if there are any suitable programs.

A few unavoidable limitations of sprite editing - you can never replace a sprite with a bigger sprite. Also, the collision detection is likely to be a little messed up if you change the shape of a sprite.

cloud4004

Ah, I love Zophars Domain. Great site. I might be able to help you with programs too if you can't find any there. What games are you wanting to edit?